Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 10:49 PM

Warning -

A friend phoned me tonight to warn me about a scam that was tried on her today, and I thought I'd better pass the info on.

A woman telephoned my friend, and said she was from Waitrose, and they were contacting everyone with a computer who had Windows 7.
My very trusting friend believed her at first, because she really had bought her computer from Waitrose, a while ago.

The caller gave her name as 'Rachel Williams' and assured my friend it was perfectly legit and nothing to worry about.
She even gave 2 telephone numbers and a web address for Diane to check her out!

The caller would not let Diane go, and kept insisting she needed to talk her through a problem on her computer, because she was in imminent danger of taking on corrupt files through Windows 7.
Diane became suspicious, and refused, but this persistent put 'her boss' on next. He was a foreigner who Diane could hardly understand.

I hope I've got this bit right, but the web address they gave her was a 'company' called "Technical Health Online", and there were two phone numbers:

020885 586 058 and 0800 031 4014

Afterwards, Diane googled those numbers and found out they were dangerous scammers.

Be very aware if you get any calls like this folks.
Diane also discovered they had obtained £2,600 from one poor soul.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 11:35 PM

Re: Warning -

This is a very old scam and my sister in law almost got caught with something like this, until she called me first and I warned her.

I hope everyone takes note and is safe. Never give anything to anyone unless you know what you're doing and who you are talking to. Treat everything as suspect.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-02-2015, 11:47 PM

Thanks for the warning Mups ...
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 12:04 AM

Some woman keeps ringing here every few weeks, something about windows 7 too, the wife has used a very rude word with 'off' added at the end but still she rings and still gets the same answer all they time, she's persistent I'll say that, maybe it's the same one.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 09:57 AM

Its about Windows is a favourite opening. At this point you compliment most fulsomely on your new windows that they installed a few weeks ago, how delighted you are, how much warmer your home is thanks to the new triple glazed windows, how much quieter due to the reduced street noise, and being self cleaning such a blessing, and how quickly and efficiently their fitters installed them. You, of course, will recommend them to all your family and friends.

At about this point allow the caller to interrupt and get through; the caller has, in my experience, been trying to tell you they mean Windows for your computer; at which point you say that would be silly why would your computer need a window over the screen what will you suggest next? Curtain? Blinds?

It works for me when I have the time and inclination to have a little fun otherwise an invitation to "go forth and multiply suffices.
myrtle
Chatterbox
Macclesfield, uk
myrtle is female  myrtle has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:00 AM

Thanks for the warning Mups
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Been around a long time but never hurts to remind everyone.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:48 AM

Jem do you me feck.
I have started saying that a lot and its all due to Father Ted and
Mrs Browns Boys. A good Irish and Middle English word. Doesn't
mean the meaning of the rude word at all. Saying that just because
it is a sound alike to the naughty word then people take note.
I think we mentioned a while ago about these scammers just put
the phone down if you don't know them and don't pick your
phone up for a good hour so they cant pretend to be kosher.
Or in may case tell them I don't have a computer and don't know
what they are talking about. Bye, slam phones down
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:49 AM

Thanks Mups - I've given Fabio your advice - I take no nonsense from callers
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 01:44 PM

Just heard of another scam last night. 2 of my friends have nearly got caught on this one. It has now been posted on our local Police website, and they say they've had 10 cases reported so far.

On a quiet road, a man steps out in front of you to make you stop. One friend was asked for money, and another was told he wanted jump leads.
Luckily both friends drove off quickly. (The second friend is married to a plain clothes detective, so the bloke might have regretted messing with her)!

I suppose they must be stopping people (especially women), on the quiet back roads as people aren't so able to stop quickly on fast roads. I hope no one is daft enough to let them in the car.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top