Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 11:31 AM

Am I paranoid ? BT query

We were getting numerous calls from over seas scams, trying to sell us stuff etc, so we invested in a BT phone that allows you to block callers numbers. Since we plugged it in two weeks ago not one call, not had to block one !

This is from 3 or 4 calls a day and 2 or 3 every evening suddenly silence.

We both said last night we are suspicious that BT was at the foot of the calls or had a hand in letting them through to sell their phones to those of us affected !

So paranoia or coincidence ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 11:51 AM

Re: Am I paranoid ? BT query

You be on to something there, Julie!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We were getting numerous calls from over seas scams, trying to sell us stuff etc, so we invested in a BT phone that allows you to block callers numbers. Since we plugged it in two weeks ago not one call, not had to block one !

This is from 3 or 4 calls a day and 2 or 3 every evening suddenly silence.

We both said last night we are suspicious that BT was at the foot of the calls or had a hand in letting them through to sell their phones to those of us affected !

So paranoia or coincidence ?
Sounds a bit fishy to me Julie, I wouldn't put it past large companies like BT to stoop so low....I believe British Gas fit sub-standard boilers in order to give their engineers something to do when they are not fitting boilers. British Gas make more money from their service and repair side than they do from selling gas........
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 06:45 PM

Sounds a distinct possibility to me Julie!

Two weeks ago I looked up the Health Lottery online, just out of interest, but ever since then I've been getting load of spam emails- all health biased.

Coincidence?

Surely shome mishtake?! stevmk2
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 07:35 PM

I was looking for a fridge freezer last year and went onto a few sites
to see how much they were or if I liked them.
My computer started going slow so thought I would do a virus check.
When it had finished I had 28 virus that follow you around and
note which site you have been on and of course what you are looking
for. I think the BT thing sounds similar to this too.
Funnily enough I was look myself at the BT phones the other week
as my answer mc keeps going on the blink but thought I would
kill two birds with a stone by getting the number check phone
as well. After looking for one my phone and ans mc
started going OK as it was the plug which was not put
in correctly into the socket
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 08:24 PM

Methinks they are all in cahoots with each other, the pesters union.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:25 AM

Julie. Let me quote you something from a booklet I picked up at the post office about Scammers:

Question - Why have I been targeted?
Answer - Either because scammers have 'bought' a mailing list with your details on it, or you have responded to a survey, tempting letter, phone call or advertisement.
Scammers make lists of all the people they have tricked. These lists are called 'Suckers Lists.'

Question - What do the scammers do with the 'suckers list'?
Answer - They sell them to other scammers all over the world.

Question - What happens if my name gets put on a suckers list?
Answer - Your criminal mail and phone calls will start to increase as more scammers try their luck at getting their hands on your cash.

Nasty buggers, aren't they.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Julie. Let me quote you something from a booklet I picked up at the post office about Scammers:

Question - Why have I been targeted?
Answer - Either because scammers have 'bought' a mailing list with your details on it, or you have responded to a survey, tempting letter, phone call or advertisement.
Scammers make lists of all the people they have tricked. These lists are called 'Suckers Lists.'

Question - What do the scammers do with the 'suckers list'?
Answer - They sell them to other scammers all over the world.

Question - What happens if my name gets put on a suckers list?
Answer - Your criminal mail and phone calls will start to increase as more scammers try their luck at getting their hands on your cash.

Nasty buggers, aren't they.
You got that last bit right, Mups.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:19 AM

Indeed I know how we get on the lists I am just unsure why it stopped so suddenly just as we paid BT over £30 ! for a new phone
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Julie this group on Facebook will show you just how "well" BT is regarded by some:-
British Telecom Bad Service Group

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top