Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Passport question.

We thought we might get a last minute holiday to Spain in March but hubby's passport is up in June. I've heard somewhere that you can't go if you haven't got six months left on your passport. Does anybody know if this is true & why?
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 08:43 PM

Re: Passport question.

Dunno about that but sounds like a myth to me carol.

I found this on Trip Advisor: - "There are very few countries in the world that require 6 months left on a passport after departure, not even USA, Australia, Canada require time left after your departure date, other countries only require 1 month or 3 months. The blanket '6 months' rule is one put about by lazy travel agents". stevmk2
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 08:45 PM

I think that is a myth as far as EU countries are concerned. It only has to be valid for the duration of the holiday. Countries like Russia do require at least 6 months on passport.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:16 PM

It probably covers the traveller for problems arising when they are in a foreign country, like imprisonment, hospitalisation, etc., so they can return home without a problem. I am presuming...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2015, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
We thought we might get a last minute holiday to Spain in March but hubby's passport is up in June. I've heard somewhere that you can't go if you haven't got six months left on your passport. Does anybody know if this is true & why?
This link should confirm your passport validity Carol

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
It is definitely true for some countries don't know about Spain. It is a requirement to enter without a visa.

I go to Malaysia and Thailand next month and it is true for both those counties. My old passport expired in June so I had to get a new one in January the annoying thing is that the new passport expires in January not June so I am diddled out of six months of my 10 year passport (doubt I will apply for another). However I shall write to the Dept of Foreign Affairs and my MP to express my displeasure.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
This link should confirm your passport validity Carol

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Thank you for the link Mags. It confirms what everybody thought. It hasn't got to have 6 months over just to go to Spain... Hurrah!!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 04:38 AM

I bet that's true about lazy travel agents. We went on a short cruise last November from Sydney and the travel agent said my partner would have to renew his passport as it had less than six months to go. When i told him, he said bother that, I'll go and risk it as we were only going to two ports in the South Pacific and then back on the ship to Sydney. They never asked to see our passports anywhere!

Bruce - I might join you in letter writing. I had to renew my re-enrty visa on my UK passport and they now charge $80 more to do it by post or in the PO than if you do it online. Very un fair for those who can't afford or don't want a computer.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It is definitely true for some countries don't know about Spain. It is a requirement to enter without a visa.

I go to Malaysia and Thailand next month and it is true for both those counties. My old passport expired in June so I had to get a new one in January the annoying thing is that the new passport expires in January not June so I am diddled out of six months of my 10 year passport (doubt I will apply for another). However I shall write to the Dept of Foreign Affairs and my MP to express my displeasure.
That's not fair! At least we get our full validity when renewing: they add on the remaining months to the new passport and so extend the validity date beyond ten years.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:20 PM

Yes by all means write Bruce, I think that stinks of meanness and petty theft.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top