Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:49 PM

Silence!

Silence = Noun = Complete absence of sound.

But does it exist ?

Certainly not during daylight hours - life is noisy !

Even at night, in the depth of winter in the middle of the North Yorks Moors it is not silent. There are murmurings and rustlings all about. Lying in bed with all the double glazed windows closed - there still are sounds. Distant traffic, the comforting creakings of the sleeping house.

In a vacuum? Maybe - but how would you know ? Put a man in space suit into a vacuum - instant sound. His breathing, his heartbeat, the hum of whatever measuring instruments he took in there with him.

So - does silence actually exist ?
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:53 PM

Re: Silence!

if a tree falls in a forest......

would we really want silence? I love the sounds that mark the passing hours, the change in seasons .. That muffeld stillness after snowfall.. The spring dawn full of birdsong..
For me silence isnt golden its lonely..
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:56 PM

As a tinnitus sufferer I never experience silence
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2015, 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
As a tinnitus sufferer I never experience silence
Me neither Mags although it is pretty quiet here at night apart from the sheep who cough and baaa a lot
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Me neither Mags although it is pretty quiet here at night apart from the sheep who cough a lot
Is that normal for sheep to cough Meg?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Is that normal for sheep to cough Meg?
Yes I think so Mags, they get bits of grass stuck in their throats.

My Brother lives in an old farmhouse on the moors in Yorkshire miles from anywhere and I went to house/dog sit there when my son was young .
We watched a scary film then went to bed and couldn't sleep because someone was coughing under the window. There was no sign of anyone in the morning .
I told my brother when he returned and he said the wall where the fireplace is gets warm and the sheep lay against it at night and cough
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

20-02-2015, 12:11 AM

My Brother lives in an old farmhouse on the moors in Yorkshire miles from anywhere and I went to house/dog sit there when my son was young .
We watched a scary film then went to bed and couldn't sleep because someone was coughing under the window. There was no sign of anyone in the morning .
I told my brother when he returned and he said the wall where the fireplace is gets warm and the sheep lay against it at night and cough
That's spooky!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 12:29 AM

Silence is just absence of sound, there are probably places where it's completely silent like in underground caves but not in many places where there is animal or human life.
I used to live in a remote area when I was growing up but you could hear animal sounds at night and in the winter lots of water birds which used to winter on a lake which was very close, I used to hear them calling as I went to sleep and if I woke up in the night, not silent but nature sounds as opposed to what I hear now, traffic and people.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 12:37 AM

Aah, they're not daft are they.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:48 AM

When I worked down the pit there were times when I was on my own. Switch off your caplamp and there would be total darkness and silence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top