Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
pandora
New Member!
united States
pandora is female 

20-02-2015, 04:36 PM

Keep Name After Married

I am a widow and getting married . Since I have had my last name from my first marriage since I was 18, I am considering keeping my last name , and using my new husband's last name socially. My future husband is leaving it up to me. Are there any pros or cons I should consider. All I can think of is all the work it would create changing my name on accounts, cards, license, passport, a whole list.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:41 PM

Re: Keep Name After Married

I would feel the same
Always wondered why women keep the husbands name after divorce though, seems logical to go back to your own surname, if no children are involved that is .......
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:45 PM

I married Jenny-she reverted to her maiden name after her divorce.

No big deal. What is a name? It`s love that counts
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:50 PM

I think I would want to take my new husband's name for me it's an important symbol of being married. I cant remember there being too much to changing name, but it was a while ago and with the internet it is likely easier these days than when we had to write letters and visit personally.

But it has to be a very personal decision between you and your husband, I know you said he doesn't mind but I would wonder if he means that or not.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 05:58 PM

A long time ago, I noticed a "trend" with younger women at the BBC to retain their birth-surname and incorporate the name into their married name.

No real thought was given into the possible consequences and embarrassment of offspring as some bizarre double-barrelled names came up, from what I remember, such as Smith-Jones-Fortescue and Neaping-Farnsworth-Thomas - I remember these in particular!

There were some that would make you cringe too but - I digress - what is the REAL reason for this antiquated method of naming offspring?

It's like Blackadder isn't it it - Potter T? - Potter P? stevmk2
Moyra
South East Essex
Moyra is female  Moyra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:06 PM

I married at 17 and became a Smith. Divorced at 38 but still retained my married name as I had been known longer by it than my maiden name. My son lives with me now so it makes things harmonious and my ex is long gone! I have often considered changing my name back but seems pretty senseless at my age, however if I were ever mad enough to marry again I would think it an insult not to take the name of the man I was to marry!
pandora
New Member!
united States
pandora is female 

20-02-2015, 06:20 PM

Honestly I thought ( for a short time) of hyphenating mine with his. But then I thought what a pain to write 2 last names. There will be no new children in our future, so likely doesn't matter.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 07:27 PM

Do whatever makes you most comfortable. If you keep your name for formal stuff so you don't have to have the hassle of changing I don't see any problem.
Congratulations on your impending marriage, by the way!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 08:13 PM

Suit yourself and do what seems right for you. I'm reverting back to my maiden name. Not legally, but just telling people I'm using it. Couldn't be bothered with all the palava and legalities of officially changing it. I'll still use my married name when its easier! Do what you want, not what anyone tells you to. It's a very personal matter.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 08:38 PM

I agree with what Orangutan says, we seem to be using our names more than ever in these modern times so whatever is more convenient and comfortable for you to use use it, and good luck on your wedding too.
That poses a question for me now, when two fellas get married who’s name do they use?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top