Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:38 PM

Car Windscreen

Recently our windscreen has the marks of the wipers left behind permanently, new wipers.
Thought at first a bit of trapped grit caused it, but there are 3 distinctive arc smears that will not wipe off.
Just wondered if windscreens just wear over time, will have to get a replacement ........
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:52 PM

Re: Car Windscreen

Strange as it may sound this is very close to me. One lady friend drives a car I own,another drives a car I loaned her the money to buy.

But ffs get new wipers-you two. My phobia is about driving but I do like to see where we are going
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 04:56 PM

Have you tried vinegar or Autoglym glass cleaner?
Worth a go I would have thought
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Victors Mate ->
Have you tried vinegar or Autoglym glass cleaner?
Worth a go I would have thought
Tried the vinegar VM - would have thought that would work .........
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:00 PM

Hi Patsy - The Autoglyn windscreen cleaner is excellant, the best I have ever used, but it is a bit pricey.

It might remove those marks, if it does not at least you'll have a bottle of the best windscreen cleaner for future use.

If the glass is actually scratched and you are really lucky maybe your insurance will cover you for a new windscreen. If they won't you may find it expensive to replace the windscreen.

When I was younger I used to drive with the odd mark or even stone chip but I like my screen to be perfect now
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 06:07 PM

Where did you get them from Patsy ? I keep reading on various forums how brand new wipers bought from and fitted by Halfords are doing the same thing.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Hello Harvey - thank you for the response which VM mentioned too
I will try the cleaner mentioned - worth a go - if it doesn't work, I would guess the screen has worn .........
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2015, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Where did you get them from Patsy ? I keep reading on various forums how brand new wipers bought from and fitted by Halfords are doing the same thing.
Oh ! Could be, we got them from Tesco !
So, we then got these ones from Amazon, which had good reviews, but will not cure the problem of course .......
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

20-02-2015, 06:17 PM

@Losos
@Victors Mate
Thank you both - just looked on Amazon and it is very highly rated - have just ordered .......
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Funny you should say that Julie, I had new wipers fitted by Halfords recently .Firstly I understood fitting was free and had to pay £3 then when I used them they caught on the windscreen and jammed. My neighbours son had a look and said they were too long and catching the sides of the windscreen and where not set properly. The scratches weren't deep and he told me to try silver polish which I did and they came off.

I was tempted to go back and complain but it was too much hassle to drive there and faff about. They would probably have said I should have gone back rather than letting someone else do them but I couldn't drive around with them like that.

The wipers came in a packet with two sizes which was such a waste because I could never use one set but of course paid for both. I won't ever get them there again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top