Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:50 PM

Popular Forums scrapped!!

Saga Zone, Your's, Seniority and others I don't know about - as well as 'chat' rooms linked to the internet provider.

When I started out Wanadoo has a lot of 'chat rooms!!

Why did they all disappear? It wasn't through lack of users!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 12:00 AM

Re: Popular Forums scrapped!!

Sorry, I don't know what this means Carol. Maybe they are under a new name or something?
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 02:35 AM

I remember Seniority never had anything to do with Saga. Seniority is the only forum where I have encountered another 'Ciderman'! I have never been anything else so I had to become 'Ciderman_nz'. I seem to remember Seniority was demolished by the moderators until everybody abandoned ship.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 04:28 AM

I used to play backgammon at a site called playsite it was a forum as well as backgammon and really well attended...it disappeared just about overnight....I still miss it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Sorry, I don't know what this means Carol. Maybe they are under a new name or something?
They're just popular sites that have disappeared Floydy. I forget how young you are - maybe before your time.

Saga Zone in particular was hugely popular - what happened? Does anybody know?
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 06:55 AM

It didn't make money so Saga shut it down .
When it started SZ was excellent but it deteriated badly.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 07:18 AM

I was a member of one years ago that covered so many topics and hobbies, it was interesting to be a part of. I forget its name and why/when it shut down. I don't think it was aimed at a particular age group, just that it covered all interests.

I was also on SZ.

Edited. Just checked Yours (I enjoy the magazine). Like most organisations, it's moved over to Facebook! I think that is most unfair to a lot of users but hey, it saves them having to pay for and manage a website, doesn't it? Guess it all comes down to money and staff.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 08:42 AM

Saga Zone was supposed to be a place where Saga users and readers could get together and socially network with "like-minded people".

What it turned into was a teeth-bared, argumentative chat hell full of intolerant zealots and troublemakers, apparently.
"Recently there have been complaints about content, particularly though not exclusively racism and religious intolerance, posted in the Soapbox and Debate Zone," said a post on the Saga Zone homepage.

"We closed these areas of the site but people continued to post controversial and offensive content on other areas of the site."
According to the post the goings on at Saga Zone are not the sort of thing that Saga wants to be associated with. Thus, it had no alternative but to make it a one-way communication system.
"A social networking site is about freedom of speech and there are many places on the web where people can express their views in a robust and unfettered manner. However, Saga Zone is in a Saga branded environment and when members post content that others find offensive on a company's website it can impact how the company itself is viewed," it added.
"We are sad that the site has been used to post offensive messages and that we cannot continue to run Saga Zone with the threat to the brand that this content poses. This means that from today the forums are now 'read only' so you can no longer post comments."
The website will be shut down on 26 February. Users are advised that they can retrieve whatever content they have on their accounts.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 08:58 AM

Was on an American news papers forum called Talk Back based in Lancaster

From 2000(before the attack on the twin towers) till they shut it down in about 2010

In those years made only about 1000 posts.

But I learnt so much off that site about the American mind set was sad to see it go.

Did ask them to preserve the posts for future generations.

this was their reason which was rubbish.

https://www.editorandpublisher.com/n...-online-forum/
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2019, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I used to play backgammon at a site called playsite it was a forum as well as backgammon and really well attended...it disappeared just about overnight....I still miss it.
I used to be a member there, I think it was there I played upwords, brilliant game , I really miss it, we used to have tournaments x

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top