Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 09:10 AM

Re: Schools Day's please tell us.

I hated being in my Infact/Junior School, I was bullied every day by two boys who were two years older then me.

I also got the Cane because I couldn't do my Maths and my Mum went up to the School and confronted him.

My Secondary School, I loved being there, ours was an All Girls School and most of the Teachers were Women but we had one Male Mr. Hughes who everyone fancied, I was Teachers Pet and got away with everything, but they were very strict Teachers.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Moved to north Wales aged 12/13 . New secondary school . First day in a Welsh lesson was told to start reading aloud from a Welsh book . I couldn't make the Welsh sounds and was horrified I was making strange noises. Awful for a new girl from England who had never heard the language .

Teachers wore black cloaks and mortar boards and carried canes

Called by my surname constantly the first month I could not fit in so i never went apart from the sewing class which had a nice young trendy teacher. I bunked off at the beach or a friends house , her mum loved our company . Sadly my education was poor but as i grew up i educated myself about the world .

My granddaughters love school and it makes me so happy for them .

At age 50 i went to college and studied computers/ typing mail merge etc etc and became a secretary in an accountants eventually typing out business accounts . Over the years I've gained many qualifications and realised i love learning.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 10:02 AM

I only remember the bad things of my days at infants school. One day during playtime a threshing machine went past the school to a local farm to thresh their corn. I thought it a bit of fun to follow the thresher and watch it working. It was fine till the farmer spotted me. He grabbed me by the ear and led me back to school. Six of the best from Miss Drakes cane and I was only six.
Another time I did something I shouldn,t have (Can,t remember what it was) The headmaster twisted my braces, we didn,t wear belts then, and hung my on a clothes peg in the cloak room for about ten minutes. The headmaster then would have made a wonderful pitcher in a baseball game as his aim with that blackboard rubber was spot on. Very rarely did he miss the boy he was aiming at.
Of course as we boys got older we were taken out of class, as this was wartime, and sent to help out on the local farms or work on the school allotments which did very little to our educational needs but I loved working on the farm with those wonderful heavy work horses.
Ah!! Sweet memories.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 10:43 AM

I was ok...I kept my head down and survived...no-one was going to come and save me if I didn't
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 10:56 AM

There seems to be a recurring theme here, I too had teachers at my secondary school that couldn’t be bothered with the less academically challenged, I remember the maths teacher explaining things to me as if he were telling another maths teacher, easy peasy, except it wasn’t, not to me, so much so I was put in the remedial class for maths with all the dross of that year, we were never taught maths or anything in that class and spent most of it in fear, luckily my mate was also in there with me and both of us kept our heads down and our gobs shut..there were one or two great teachers, mr Stroud, the English teacher, he had a nasty habit of throwing whatever was to hand at you if you misbehaved, yet he turned out to be a wonderful teacher, a wonderful storyteller, then there was the deputy head, everyone feared him, a fiery geordie, and again, turned out to be a great bloke, there were some nutters too, whose lessons were to be dreaded, everyone got bullied at school, but you quickly learned who to keep away from and, literally, not make eye contact, ah, happy days..
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 12:51 PM

I hated school, it was only my music teacher that made me remotely interested.

Since I left I got thrown out of 6th form, the navy, Dundee University, Teeside Polytechnic and Sheffield Polytechnic.

Funny really....
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2020, 12:53 PM

School. I hated it.

I stopped going at about age 14. I couldn't wait to leave officially so I could get a job.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 05:46 PM

In general I didn't hate school, just loathed some of the teachers. The first was Mrs Darlington (2nd yr primary) made us "lefties" write right-handed. Of course I couldn't being a natural southpaw and this upset me so much I left class each afternoon . My mom was not amused and demanded that Mrs Darlington stop pressurising me because I was naturally left-handed. Mrs D said she only did it because "some children like to play up and pretend" (funny how you can remember this sort of thing almost verbatim 64yrs after the event!). The next was a Mr Dick (I kid you not) our Grammar School English Language teacher - a Scot of ill-repute and nature who used the tawse with great effect and pain.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 07:12 PM

I too am left handed and back in my infant school days the teacher tied my left hand behind my back. I would go home crying to "Mum" and she saw the doctor. After that I was separated from the other children and did all my written work in the corridor but allowed to use my left hand.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 09:36 PM

Reading your replies . I actually feel less guilty because all my life I've beaten myself up for not attending school from the age of 13 . Now reading what some of you say I realise I hated school because the teachers were bullies .

Yet I read about your lifes and like me you are well educated and wise . I guess this is the university of life

Tonight my 14 year old educated bright granddaughter told me

Nan i have a week of mock exams ....

I replied . My darling girl , just do what you can do , dont sweat the small stuff , you will get where you are meant to be whatever happens.

Kay sera sera whatever will be will be
The futures not ours to see
Kay sera sera

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top