Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2020, 09:35 AM

Re: ...and now the floods

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just looking at that picture of the snake. GULP! Thinking back to the £10 per Pom in the 60's, the only thing that put me off taking up your country's kind and generous offer, was the thought of those snakes and hand-sized spiders.
OMG, I am a wreck if I spot a small spider in the bath! so I would not have made a good welcome Pommy Aussie. You need people with grit, so that wouldn't have been me.
You could have come here Shropshiregirl. We don't have any nasty bitey things, only earthquakes and volcanoes!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 12:17 AM

Phew! today's rain forecast for Wollongong has been downgraded to 250mm. The wind is much stronger today and there are fears of coastal erosion in some areas of the state because this weather has coincided with king tides.

Yesterday's rain was 52mm according to my rain gauge - virtually the same as the day before.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:17 AM

As Sydney braces for more rain than it has seen in two decades, relief continues for bushfire-hit regions, with a massive South Coast fire extinguished after burning for more than two months.

The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) has warned the wet conditions are set to worsen, with a risk of "life-threatening" flash flooding in the Hunter, as well as the Central Coast, the Sydney metropolitan area, Illawarra and eastern parts of the Central Tablelands.

It comes as heavy rain has been falling steadily across much of the state since Wednesday, with some of the strongest falls seen in northern NSW, near Byron Bay and Kingscliff, which had close to 300mm fall yesterday

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...hfire/11947268
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:36 AM

That's some kind of weather pattern. Some very substantial storm surge. Do you all often see that kind of surge that is not related to a cyclone?

This must be a big event, the meteorologist didn't even mention the cyclone off the NW coast!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

09-02-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That's some kind of weather pattern. Some very substantial storm surge. Do you all often see that kind of surge that is not related to a cyclone?

This must be a big event, the meteorologist didn't even mention the cyclone off the NW coast!
We get storm events called east coast lows which form off the coast and push a lot of rain and big surf onto the land. If they were further north they could be classed as cyclones but the water is too cold for a cyclone to form off NSW.

This is the heaviest rain event since 1998 (I think that was the year they quoted). The king tide didn't help because it banked up the water in the rivers preventing its escape.

This evening I emptied my rain gauge at 45mm (that fell from 9am to 7pm) because it would fill up by the morning but nothing like the 250mm predicted. It has been raining all day so I haven't been out.

Surfies have had a wonderful day in 5 metre waves.

Tomorrow the rain will turn to showers by the afternoon/evening as the weather pattern moves further south.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

10-02-2020, 02:27 AM

I was woken at 3am last night by the wind and rain on the roof and had 108mm of rain in 24 hours but the storm didn't have a name. This morning all the usual suspects were flooded, train lines blocked, schools shut and roads cut but things will get back to normal within the next few hours. Makes a change from bushfires.

(BTW a town nearby had 397mm in 24 hours.)

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 05:33 AM

My goodness.
Anyone who doesn’t believe in climate change has only to look at Australia .
These conditions were predicted ten years ago ( for 2020) and they have come to pass.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/how-a-cl...ushfire-season
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 12:34 AM

Yes but the people who don't believe the unprecedented fires and heat here are even in part due to Climate change won't be moved regardless of what evidence is put in front of them. They continue to insist that the fires are all caused by arsonists or kids playing with matches. What they don't consider is the relationship between bush that has been dry for years, lack of water and the effect of dry lightning, the effect of wind changes and how unbelievably fast fires move and change direction. You have meteorologists and climate scientists who have been studying and analyzing these changes for, in some cases, the whole of their professional lives and presenting their findings for as long. But no..they know nothing do they. It's those pesky kids with matches and the arsonists.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

12-02-2020, 01:53 AM

Don't worry the Government has it all under control.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top