Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:02 PM

Grrrrrr

Oh dear we have been without electricity for a few hours. Had to call an emergency electrician out at a cost of £175.. He's fixed the problem temporarily - it was the outside light's junction box. Rain had got into it & fused the entire house.

Now a lot of things need replacing including a 'special' metal fuse box that costs £400, a waterproof junction box cost unknown plus any other things the electrician thinks we need to make us safe & see it doesn't happen again... I don't think we'll be paying much short of £1,000 for the damage todays rain has done to our property...

It didn't help that I'd got a raving husband shouting at me that I was mad to pay them £175 - he was practically fuming - not really understanding due to his Alzheimers, that I had no choice!! I bloody well hate being a woman having to make decisions that a man usually makes..
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Re: Grrrrrr

Check your home insurance policy Carol. This MIGHT be covered.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:05 PM

Carol. I’d shop around, call other electricians and get a few quotes just to see what is required,
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:10 PM

Gosh Carol, l thought my fences coming down was bad enough but you’ve come off worse.
I am so sorry. l hope you can get it sorted at a reasonable price soon.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:11 PM

Would your house insurance cover it Carol ?
As to having to handle it all yourself ... ....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
Oh dear we have been without electricity for a few hours. Had to call an emergency electrician out at a cost of £175.. He's fixed the problem temporarily - it was the outside light's junction box. Rain had got into it & fused the entire house.

Now a lot of things need replacing including a 'special' metal fuse box that costs £400, a waterproof junction box cost unknown plus any other things the electrician thinks we need to make us safe & see it doesn't happen again... I don't think we'll be paying much short of £1,000 for the damage todays rain has done to our property...

It didn't help that I'd got a raving husband shouting at me that I was mad to pay them £175 - he was practically fuming - not really understanding due to his Alzheimers, that I had no choice!! I bloody well hate being a woman having to make decisions that a man usually makes..
The existing consumer unit (fuse-box) doesn't need to be upgraded to the latest electrical regulations if it was installed correctly in line with the Regulations in force at the time. Tell me the make and a quick description.

A waterproof junction box is around £5.

£175? You've being ripped off, and if you accept his offer to replace the consumer unit for no good reason, he will rip you off again.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:16 PM

Carol, aren't outside junction boxes the electricity company's responsibilty?

As for making all the decisions, I soooo understand where you're coming from gal.

Sorry I can't really help much, and I hope you get sorted soon.

P.S.

Take Judd's advice Carol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:36 PM

I know I was ripped off at £175 but that was for the call out fee and the fixing of the problem.
The electrician who fixed it said it could only be temporary as it needed a new waterproof junction box. This was the junction box to the outside light.

He looked at our consumer box which is plastic and said it is now against the law to have plastic ones.

He advised us to have it replaced with a metal one which would trip each item individually and we would never again have to put with all the electrics going off due to one fault.

I understand what he's saying. Having no electrical experts amongst my family or friends I just have to weigh it up for myself.

Thanks to those who suggested checking the insurance. I'll do that.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I know I was ripped off at £175 but that was for the call out fee and the fixing of the problem.
The electrician who fixed it said it could only be temporary as it needed a new waterproof junction box. This was the junction box to the outside light.

He looked at our consumer box which is plastic and said it is now against the law to have plastic ones.

He advised us to have it replaced with a metal one which would trip each item individually and we would never again have to put with all the electrics going off due to one fault.

I understand what he's saying. Having no electrical experts amongst my family or friends I just have to weigh it up for myself.

Thanks to those who suggested checking the insurance. I'll do that.
Another con. It's not a legal requirement to have a plastic consumer unit replaced with a metal one. Electrical Regulations (BS:7671) are not statutory. The only stipulation is that any NEW electrical work carried out must comply with Regulations in force at the time. Currently, the 18th Edition.

If you were having a rewire or extensive electrical work done, I would expect a metal (fire-proof under new Regs) to be installed. The work you are having done, the replacement of a waterproof junction box (a fifteen-minute job), is classed as a like for like swap so nothing needs updating to the new Regs.

Look for another honest electrician, blokes like him are giving us decent sparkies a bad name.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 05:53 PM

Sounds suspiciously over-priced.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top