Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 10:57 PM

How's this for crazy

Anyone remember not long ago, that serial rapist bloke who is supposed to have drugged, than attacked 195 men?
Reynhard Sinaga was/is his name.
I have just read that he has been convicted of 159 attacks on 48 men, but police fear the toll of victims is nudging 200.

However, it seems that even though he is from a wealthy Indonesian family - his father owns several branches of of a bank in Indonesia, plus he paid for his son's UK student fees for over 10 years, plus paid for the Manchester flat where the Sinaga lured his victims.
In spite of his family wealth, it was revealed through a Freedom of Information request, that this rapist has cost taxpayers £400,000 in legal aid - and the bill could yet double!

He got his legal aid because the family's wealth is held oversees.

This sicko targetted clubbers, drugging them and filming his rape attacks. He was only found out when his final victim - an 18 yr. old rugby player - woke up during his ordeal, battered the bloke and called the police.

I can hardly believe what I read. How can legal aid be exploited like that. It surely can't be right?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:04 PM

Re: How's this for crazy

Stuff has always been available to protect folks who are unable to protect themselves. Individuals exploit this system, sometimes for their perverted ends, this will always be the case, but needs ignoring, for the sake of folks with the need of real legal assistance.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:16 AM

It's a shame that the taxpayer's had to foot the bill. 400,000 pounds does seen extreme. I wonder if it might be possible to change the laws so that wealthy people were made to pay up?

Was he found guilty ? What was the sentence ?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:19 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
It's a shame that the taxpayer's had to foot the bill. 400,000 pounds does seen extreme.
Was he found guilty ? What was the sentence ?

He got a minimum of 30 years apparently, Bakerman.

That probably means he will be out in 5!

(Forgive my sarcasm - sorry).
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
He got a minimum of 30 years apparently, Bakerman.

That probably means he will be out in 5!

(Forgive my sarcasm - sorry).
Here, in the U.S., when a judge sentences someone to a MINIMUM term, it means exactly that. 30 years MINIMUM.
However, when the sentence is open ended, for example, 20 to life, the convict can be released early, based on "good behavior".

I recall a case several decades back, where a monster was convicted of raping a child and he was released early. He promptly kidnapped, raped and murdered a 10 year old girl.
The public was livid with rage. We enacted laws that mandated absolute minimum for cases of "special circumstances". Henceforth, such monsters would be imprisoned for his FIRST crime, to a lengthy term WITHOUT ANY POSSIBILITY OF PAROLE. Thus protecting the innocent children.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2020, 12:39 AM

I thought it all depends on how much money you have ...

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top