Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 01:15 AM

Re: Walkers in trainers rescued in Ben Nevis blizzard

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Bakerman in the US they would be killed by a wild animal. In the UK the weather is more dangerous than the wildlife.

Not so. The dangerous predators have no reason to lurk in such barren lands. After all, herbivores, the natural prey of predators, live on grass and leaves. When the land is devoid of green food stuff, there is almost no animal life and what little there are are rodent like creatures.

In any event, the winter weather in many parts of the western U.S. is often -40 F, especially, high up.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Not so. The dangerous predators have no reason to lurk in such barren lands. After all, herbivores, the natural prey of predators, live on grass and leaves. When the land is devoid of green food stuff, there is almost no animal life and what little there are are rodent like creatures.

In any event, the winter weather in many parts of the western U.S. is often -40 F, especially, high up.
The US is a large area of course and your weather is extreme, but you do have to remember that over here we do not have wild bears, alligators, crocodiles, mountain lions, wolves, rattlesnakes, scorpions (as far as I know!), coyotes, skunks (presumably not deadly but I'm glad we don't have them!). So if I were to go hiking in the US I'd be more worried about the wildlife than over here. I think some of our spiders can cause a nasty bite and we have grass snakes (not that I have ever seen one), but I've been told there are some deadly diseases in the desert of the US and we don't have that here either. I've been through the US weather cycle at fast forward from -20c to 80f. I cannot understand why anyone would want to go hiking in the US version of extreme temperatures. We have a temperate climate here so many are unprepared when winter (or summer) bite.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 02:13 PM

Ben Nevis tourists thank rescuers with 'generous' gifts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...lands-51473800

Four men rescued from Ben Nevis in high winds and blizzard conditions have apologised to, and thanked, their rescuers.

Lochaber Mountain Rescue Team and Inverness Coastguard helicopter went to the aid of the tourists, who were not equipped for winter hillwalking.

Following Monday's incident, they have sent the team a donation along with gifts of whisky, wine and chocolates.

Lochaber MRT has thanked the men for the "generous offer".

In a statement, the rescue team said the group had admitted to having made "a significant error of judgement" and were "extremely sorry", adding that the rescued four men should be "cut a little bit of slack".
That's a nice gesture from the tourists …..

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top