Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 12:11 AM

condolences

Two days ago I was told that an old neighbour had died, we lived in the same street about 40 years ago, she really was a lovely person. this evening I took a sympathy card and slipped it through the husbands letterbox, he must have seen me as I passed his window because he was at the door as I posted the card through the letterbox, he opened the door and held out his arms, and I gave him a cuddle, he just wanted to talk about her . After I got home It just struck me that maybe I shouldn't have hugged him, not with this virus doing the rounds, what other human acts of kindness have we supposed to ignore because of this virus...
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 12:18 AM

Re: condolences

That is so sad Paula, having to think twice before we can comfort another human being in their time of grief.
I think I would have done the same as you without thinking, poor old chap.

No good worrying about it now, lets just hope he felt a little peace and comfort from your company, if only for a short time, and that you both stay safe.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:05 AM

I would have done the same Paula without thinking.

It gave him some comfort so it was worth it..
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:26 AM

I am sorry but in this present situation, as much as you sympathise with people, it is irresponsible to hug people, especially vulnerable people.

What if your hugging ended up putting him, or yourself on a hospital ventilator. Worse that you both ended up dead.

There are other ways of comforting people.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:44 AM

I would have done the same Paula, for some it is a natural 8nstinct. You did a beautiful thing comforting a man in his time of need. Hugging is the most comforting act of human nature. I wish i could give you a comforting hug to say everything will be OK. Xxxx
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I would have done the same Paula, for some it is a natural 8nstinct. You did a beautiful thing comforting a man in his time of need. Hugging is the most comforting act of human nature. I wish i could give you a comforting hug to say everything will be OK. Xxxx

LQ, You are very protective about your dad. You wrote on here about how worried you were about him and yourself when Covid-19 broke out.

So knowing how vulnerable he is, would you be happy for a neighbour whose wife had just died and we don’t know what of, to hug him without knowing if they may be a Covid-19 carrier but showing no symptoms?

You may all think l am being hard but is a hug worth the risk?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 08:58 AM

I hugged someone without thinking, not an old person though. It still worried me for over a week, I checked to make sure they were fine.
Stupid, I know, but sometimes you know when human contact means everything.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

19-09-2020, 09:08 AM

What about a tender squeeze of gloved hands, preferably at a safe distance? Plus nice comforting words?

I have caught more things, including lip sores by people giving me a mauling hug and a slobbery peck.

The times, l have read posts on here from members condemning the young for gathering in pubs in close contact, yet don’t practice sensible safety measures themselves.

Hopefully, the day will come when you can hug again until your heart’s content but l think patience and practicing safety measures is paramount at this present time.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:23 AM

Stick to elbows at dawn.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2020, 09:47 AM

That instinctive hug absolutely the appropriate thing to do, a gesture of affection that he needed.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top