Join for free
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 12:20 PM

Street food

The government (rightly) insists that cafes and restaurants ensure that social distancing is put in place. A fair few manage to do this by utilising areas outside, often on pavements.

In order to help such establishments remain profitable (or at least break even in these times of hardship), the government now thinks it's a great idea to raise additional funds from them by charging for the floor space used

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/westminste...143500167.html

Are they, the govt, incapable of seeing what this is likely to do to trade and hence the viability of such establishments? It doesn't take a genius to see the likely outcome, which will benefit precisely nobody.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:00 PM

Re: Street food

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
The government (rightly) insists that cafes and restaurants ensure that social distancing is put in place. A fair few manage to do this by utilising areas outside, often on pavements.

In order to help such establishments remain profitable (or at least break even in these times of hardship), the government now thinks it's a great idea to raise additional funds from them by charging for the floor space used

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/westminste...143500167.html

Are they, the govt, incapable of seeing what this is likely to do to trade and hence the viability of such establishments? It doesn't take a genius to see the likely outcome, which will benefit precisely nobody.
Is it the Government, Or the Council?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
A valid question. Thought I'd read somewhere that this was an announcement made by Rishi, although it clearly does not seem to be highlighted in the article. Until I can provide a source to back up my claim, then it's fair to assume that it's a council based decision/policy.

However, the main thrust of the argument remains in tact
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-10-2020, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Whichever it is, government or council, this is a typical example of all that's been wrong in this country for a long time, that is GREED. It's everywhere you look, even in the middle of a pandemic, and much to the detriment of us all IMO.

Much of the loss of our high streets and smaller shops is I reckon due to the greedy demands for high rents and extortionate business rates. Not forgetting of course the cost of parking. A city just ten miles from the rural village where I live has a shopping centre with a car park that charges £8 a day to park (six days a week, free on Sundays), equivalent to around a £1 an hour. There are 2,300 spaces, assuming full space capacity each day that equates to £110,400 a week or £57,408,000 per year. What a rip-off that is for what is simply shopping!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

24-10-2020, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Whichever it is, government or council, this is a typical example of all that's been wrong in this country for a long time, that is GREED. It's everywhere you look, even in the middle of a pandemic, and much to the detriment of us all IMO.

Much of the loss of our high streets and smaller shops is I reckon due to the greedy demands for high rents and extortionate business rates. Not forgetting of course the cost of parking. A city just ten miles from the rural village where I live has a shopping centre with a car park that charges £8 a day to park (six days a week, free on Sundays), equivalent to around a £1 an hour. There are 2,300 spaces, assuming full space capacity each day that equates to £110,400 a week or £57,408,000 per year. What a rip-off that is for what is simply shopping!
I had originally intended to post this in the Death of the High Street thread, but thought it warranted higher profile.

I agree about councils and town planners seeming to want to make town and city centres less attractive in terms of actually being able to get to them. London's public transport infrastructure is an excellent example of how to keep small shops open and viable. Most other towns and cities clearly do not warrant such a huge network of public transport, so it seems to make sense to plan things differently. Planners don't appear to be managing things effectively.

It's all very well creating pedestrianised areas as well as roads which only buses and taxis can use. But unless you can maximise footflow within these areas, they are doomed to fail. If I want to drop my daughter or wife off in Manchester, then this now means spending 50 mins or so along small and busy routes (currently made eve n worse by the rarely used new covid cycle lanes), compared with the 15 minutes it used to take before they made road changes. Naturally, we now rarely go to the city centre because of this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top