Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Election Coverage

There are a few Americans on this forum, and it seems entirely reasonable for them to discuss the outcome of the presidential election.

The question I have is why do UK TV broadcasters seem to have a fixation on the US election, to the extent that there are a plethora of programs discussing and even reporting it as though it were a UK election? The UK never seems to have anything like as much interest in the elections involving other countries, and usually might just report the final result with a couple of minutes (if that) comments.

So why are BBC licence payers being forced to pay for extensive coverage of an election which has no obvious direct bearing on UK policy? For heaven's sake, even today's broadcast of Treasure Hunt was shoved onto BBC2 so that BBC1 could cover the election!!!!
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 05:56 PM

Re: Election Coverage

I agree and what annoys me more is that they seem to think that we cannot take in what is being reported unless there is a genuine visual element to the recording - for example for those who are remotely interested, why does a report on the Royal Family have to be delivered by someone literally standing outside Buck Palace? Surely an unreasonable costly exercise and an insult to our intelligence!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 05:57 PM

Interesting points, Dex. When will it be over and safe to switch the radio on again?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 09:16 PM

Apparently the American Elections are taking priority over Covid as far as the BBC are concerned.....
Not that I'm interested in either, but I hope Trump wins... I quite like the big fella!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Apparently the American Elections are taking priority over Covid as far as the BBC are concerned.....
Not that I'm interested in either, but I hope Trump wins... I quite like the big fella!
Me too. Biden (Sleepy Joe) looks like a puppet that's been awakened after fifty years in his box.

Why it is the first and main story on the news is beyond me. It doesn't matter who is in the Whitehouse, we will always be an ally. It suits both of us to stay in touch.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Interesting points, Dex. When will it be over and safe to switch the radio on again?
When Brexit is finished.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2020, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by oldgreyfox ->
apparently the american elections are taking priority over covid as far as the bbc are concerned.....
Not that i'm interested in either, but i hope trump wins... I quite like the big fella!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 12:57 PM

Win or lose, Donald Trump has given the naysayers another bloody nose!
Just like here with Brexit, over the pond they've been determined to try & paint Trump as a dangerous no-hoper that everybody hates.
Well that hasn't worked because the election is still too close to call either way with any degree of certainty.

After two Presidential elections which have, let's be honest, been a bit of a farce with candidates that never ought to have been in the position of competing for President in the first place you would hope that things change for the next election.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Judging by the colour of the election states it is time that the USA split up just as the USSR has.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-11-2020, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
Judging by the colour of the election states it is time that the USA split up just as the USSR has.
It seems that Trump has taken the lion's share of the states...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top