Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 10:51 AM

Re: Why White Busby?

Swims thank you so much we were wondering the same thing.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just as a matter of concern, Surely the MOD don't still use real bearskin pelts to make them in this day and age, do they?

No I believe they are synthetic.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-11-2020, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
No I believe they are synthetic.

I hope so!
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 06:05 PM

I believe the real bearskin is made from real bearskins.
Don,t quote me on this but I saw this question asked a long time ago. They have tried synthetic material but being the British army everything has to be exact and the synthetic material was 'not kosher'
They have an annual cull of bears in Canada as they are getting too numerous and this is where the 'real' thing comes from. And the bears that are culled are getting too old and many die of starvation.
Perhaps one of our Canadian cousins can throw some light on this as I would be very interests to know the truth.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 06:17 PM

0ooh, just read that the MOD takes exactly 100 bearskins maximum from the thousands of American black bears in Canada that are culled annually to keep them in check.

I'm really surprised to learn of this.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Just as a matter of concern, Surely the MOD don't still use real bearskin pelts to make them in this day and age, do they?
I remembered seeing this so I thought I would share:
https://www.tatler.com/article/queen...animal-welfare

Now you've piqued my interest.
This is quite old but it helps explain the reasoning:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bearskins.html

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top