Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 07:41 PM

I moved at the right time

It’s coming up to a year since I changed jobs, having been on the road as a service engineer for thirty years and being taken over by a company that I never wanted to work for, I decided I had to get out, taking advantage of my private pension, I was able to do just that, not having to rely on money so much, I now work as a maintenance man in a care home, no pressure whatsoever ( unless nobody’s filled the coffee machine) I am more or less my own boss and can do whatever I feel like, mostly painting, I’m still in touch with one of my colleagues who is desperate to get out, with the COVID-19, there have been lots of redundancies so I’m glad I’m out,,,, of course working in a care home can be a little sad as many of the residents aren’t going to be there forever and it’s sad when one passes, especially if you get on well with them. some have dementia and it’s very sad to see them deteriorate, sometimes frighteningly quickly, it’s the photos that get me, people just like you and me living normal lives, doing everyday things like we all do, and to see them as they are now..very sad, so if I’ve learned anything it’s to enjoy EVERY day, EVERY minute, try to laugh, and enjoy what you have left
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 07:47 PM

Re: I moved at the right time

A lovely post Primus, and written with such care and compassion for others. Good man.

I understand what you are saying about the photos too, as I have done exactly the same, and felt just the same as you do.

Cheer up m'dear.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It’s coming up to a year since I changed jobs, having been on the road as a service engineer for thirty years and being taken over by a company that I never wanted to work for, I decided I had to get out, taking advantage of my private pension, I was able to do just that, not having to rely on money so much, I now work as a maintenance man in a care home, no pressure whatsoever ( unless nobody’s filled the coffee machine) I am more or less my own boss and can do whatever I feel like, mostly painting, I’m still in touch with one of my colleagues who is desperate to get out, with the COVID-19, there have been lots of redundancies so I’m glad I’m out,,,, of course working in a care home can be a little sad as many of the residents aren’t going to be there forever and it’s sad when one passes, especially if you get on well with them. some have dementia and it’s very sad to see them deteriorate, sometimes frighteningly quickly, it’s the photos that get me, people just like you and me living normal lives, doing everyday things like we all do, and to see them as they are now..very sad, so if I’ve learned anything it’s to enjoy EVERY day, EVERY minute, try to laugh, and enjoy what you have left
Wow Primus, has it really been a year already, I can remember congratulating you on getting the job. You seem so much happier in the job you are in, I think it's important we at least like our jobs as we spend so much of our lives working. I remember you settled in really quickly. I'm glad you liked the move you made, as I said, it's important that we don't dread going to work.

I know what you mean about working in a care home, I was a carer in a care home and it could get very emotionally draining as we saw our residents passing away. I became fond of many of the residents and it really is sad when they pass away. I truly loved working in the care home and sometimes wish I was back there but then I get to thinking how much I enjoy the job I do now which is much easier on the physical and emotional side.

Keep your happy demeaner around those residents, it's amazing how a little chat and a smile can cheer up those old folks.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
What a profound and deep post. Thank you for sharing. Yes, we need to make every moment count. Not always easy to do when you live your daily life but we need to practice mindfulness as well as being present in the moment
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 08:27 PM

Well I see you as the right man for that job Primus. You sound a lovely compassionate man who would chat to anyone and just what is needed for some of these dear residents.

Well done you!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 08:51 PM

there comes a time when you either change jobs or stick it out in a job you loathe. You made the right choice and got out, just like I did.
no pressure ,no more no nothing bosses usually from UNI. You can work at your pace a start enjoying what you do, even if there are sad times.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 09:10 PM

It's the old photographs of people doing the 'normal' things that always get to me too. Getting married, laughing, holding babies etc sometimes bears no resemblance to the person in front of you.

Well done for making the right move Primus, sometimes we need to take a leap of faith. I knew it was about a year since you got your new job because my one year anniversary is also this month. Time has gone so quick this year.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:29 PM

Thanks all, yes I’m in a position where I can walk away and find something else if I had/ wanted to and not have to worry about money, ( to a point anyway) we have some characters here too, I’ll tell you all about them one day
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

Aww primus I bet you bring joy to their lifes . I've worked with the elderly in the past and talking to them and hearing of their life is fascinating .
Primus1
York

11-11-2020, 07:10 PM

Unfortunately one of the residents tested positive for Covid so they are all on lockdown, they’re not allowed out of their rooms, the poor things are climbing the walls, and they have another week after this one...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top