Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 07:28 PM

Re: I moved at the right time

Wonderful opportunity to set up a black market in booze! Sneak a few bottles of gut rot from a discount supermarket and flog it round the joint - should be able to get at least 500% mark-up.

I kid you not, I would like a shot. Few things better than a monopoly and a captive market.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 07:42 PM

They have their own supply of wine, plus I’d get fired as a condition of the job is, I’m not allowed to accept money from the residents, even though they sometimes offer, bless em..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
It’s coming up to a year since I changed jobs, having been on the road as a service engineer for thirty years and being taken over by a company that I never wanted to work for, I decided I had to get out, taking advantage of my private pension, I was able to do just that, not having to rely on money so much, I now work as a maintenance man in a care home, no pressure whatsoever ( unless nobody’s filled the coffee machine) I am more or less my own boss and can do whatever I feel like, mostly painting, I’m still in touch with one of my colleagues who is desperate to get out, with the COVID-19, there have been lots of redundancies so I’m glad I’m out,,,, of course working in a care home can be a little sad as many of the residents aren’t going to be there forever and it’s sad when one passes, especially if you get on well with them. some have dementia and it’s very sad to see them deteriorate, sometimes frighteningly quickly, it’s the photos that get me, people just like you and me living normal lives, doing everyday things like we all do, and to see them as they are now..very sad, so if I’ve learned anything it’s to enjoy EVERY day, EVERY minute, try to laugh, and enjoy what you have left
I don't think I have had any jobs that I loathed however I was made redundant from one job that I enjoyed very much when the government closed down a power station where I worked. The redundancy pay actually was a blessing in disguise as it enabled me to pay off my house and build an extension.

Because of my particular skills/qualifications as a First Class Engine Driver (that's a steam engine) I was actually flooded with job offers so it all turned out well.

But well done you for making the change as too many people "lead lives of quiet desperation." (Thoreau)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top