Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:01 PM

following on from Primus1 post re job change

Didn't want to encroach on his post but thought it worth mentioning about changing jobs.

Most people at some time or other in their working lives must get fed up with the job their in. The reason for staying could be down to money or scared of making the leap.

With companies looking to increase profit often the little guy at the bottom is asked to work harder and meet unattainable targets.I know from personal experience and nearly had a breakdown through the stress it caused.

For example

When I joined BT it provide a phone extn I was allowed 3.5 hours to do the job AFTER arriving on site. When I left that time was cut to 1.5 hours including getting to site.
Instead of one job am and another pm that was upped to 4 jobs a day . Targets impossible to meet then you were asked why you failed to complete them all. This was even without a dinner break and working long after I should have gone home unpaid to try and get the jobs done.

Managed to get out second time around with early voll. retirement, even then after working the 8 weeks notice to leave, 2 days before leaving they said I couldn't. Then I lost it big time, or put another way my manager ran for his life. And I got out. already house moved and staying with Sis in Law and nearly completed buying a business

This is how one gets treated in big organisations.

Hence change of jobs and what a relief, owning ones own business only stress is what you put on yourself
Changing jobs was the best thing ever happened to me work wise. Now working for myself the earnings went into my pocket not some unseen higher up boss.

Now retired in retrospect I should have done it a lot earlier.

It is a question of do you take the chance or not to change what you do. Taking that leap does mean absolute complete determination to succeed , no half measures .
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:20 PM

Re: following on from Primus1 post re job change

Yeah, I think it is about being brave enough to make that leap.

In the past I tried to start a dog walking business, made a website, invested in flyers, business cards, advertising on fb and other platforms but it went nowhere yet I see others doing a roaring trade, I don't know why nothing became of mine or perhaps I didn't try for long enough.

You probably already know as I've mentioned it before but I changed my career in my 50s from office worker to carer.

Then I tried my hand at being a personal assistant/home carer but still I didn't get much response. I did however end up taking care of a lady with dementia in her own home for 2 years until she sadly died, that two years was wonderful, she came to be my friend and not just my 'service user' or client (i hate those terms). Again I made a website offering a few services but nothing came of it other than the lady with Dementia of which I would never have known this wonderful woman had I not taken that 'leap'

I've still got my site rolling around the net but never had any enquiries so perhaps people can't find me.

Here is the website I made.

https://bevshelpfulhands.wixsite.com/bevshelpfulhands
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:25 PM

It is hard to be concise on this subject, to type what happened from my perspective would be to long and drawn out, and without specific knowledge would not invite comment.

Good thread though RS.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-11-2020, 10:37 PM

I tried a change of occupation in my mid-twenties, didn't like it so went back to the original one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-11-2020, 12:19 PM

I was taken out of engineering kicking and screaming....Sort of...

I was made redundant from a job I'd been in for 22 years. Trying to stay with engineering I took a post with a famous kitchen manufacturer in the toolroom...After six years I was again made redundant...

Thanks to the Chinese, engineering jobs were getting thin on the ground so I bought a van and plunged myself into being a self employed courier. It was the best thing I ever did, and had I not been so comfortable in the engineering jobs, I should have had the confidence to have done it years ago.

But that is not the end of the story, because due to many things too numerous to mention, I spent the last few years of my working life as a postman....arguably the second best thing I ever did. You just don't realise how big the world is, and if you are prepared to work at it, there are lots of opportunities out there just waiting to be explored. It's just a shame that I only found out when it was too late. In all honesty though....I don't regret a thing!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top