Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:09 AM

Re: Memory

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Although some people claim they can remember being born, it is impossible to do so. The infant brain is not capable of processing enough information to enable ongoing memory of the event. There are a lot of theories about this subject. You could look into infantile amnesia and other theories.
Here is a useful link to get you started.
Isn't it meant to be the most traumatic experience of our lives? The psychology of those born by caesarean section is also interesting.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:14 AM

Did you know that you cannot prove you were born. A birth certificate only shows your birth date was registered at some time afterwards.
Yes of course you were born that is obvious,but proving it is something else
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:31 AM

I definitely don't remember being born but I have a few memories from before age five

The earliest memory is hiding behind a chair because I did not recognising my mother when she had returned from hospital after a miscarriage between having me and my brother (he is two years younger than me). Obviously at the time I didn't know about the miscarriage.

The rest are later but still under five

A girl, who I presume was a baby sitter, showing me how to make a bird's nest from grass.

My father putting his foot through the ceiling of the house we lived in.

My father cementing the steps from the front gate so he could drive his motor bike down the path.

Having to live with my grandparents when my brother caught scarlet fever.

I know I was less than five because we moved to Kent when I was five and this house was in Leckhampton, Cheltenham

As a matter of interest i looked up the place on that site Realspeed uses and its current value is between £671000 and £1.1 million. My father was a new teacher at the time so it wasn't worth that in those days.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
In my experience of internet forums, keezoy, impossibility isn't an obstacle to making all sorts of claims.
Absolutely mate. I agree 100%. The internet is the world on a screen. It has all the useful and accurate info about everything in the world and all the BS as well. I have been chided on this forum in the past about quoting from my experience and qualifications in and for clinical practice in psychology. When all I was doing was trying to help the discussion about a subject I knew a thing or two about. I have never and will never come anywhere near to claiming I am an "expert" on anything at all. It was just my job for 30 odd years. But no never mind. That's in the past. I avoid that now. In any event. I'm retired. So maybe I no longer know S about F. Happy trails.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:23 AM

Can't think of why anyone would want to remember being born, if it were possible, when Push comes to Shove.
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:32 AM

When I was about 3, during the war, my mother and I used to go to the little village of Walkern in Hertfordshire with my grandfather. Grandfather was a retired London met policeman but he was born in Walkern. We were walking around when I fell into a weir and my grandad had to jump in up to his waist , fully clothed to rescue me.
In 2008 my wife and I returned to England and visited Walkern. I asked local people if they knew where a weir was but they were mostly new arrivals who commuted to London and didn't have a clue. Then we saw a man mowing church lawns and asked him. He was a long time local and he suggested I try through some heavy brush hedges. I grabbed my camera and crashed through trees and bushes until I came across this! Suddenly I felt a strong reluctance to go near the water, although I can swim well and have played in water all over the world. I wondered how far back the subconscious goes!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:36 AM

That's amazing, S.T. That is exactly how I imagined you.
Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Awww you little cutie pie Tabby
Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Shirley Temple lookylike.
Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So cute Tabbs.

Thank you all - I think I might have changed a bit since then! I certainly don't wear pink any more.
Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:53 AM

I have a memory of my fourth birthday. It was early morning on April the First 1931. My mother had made a little cake with four little candles and my father wanted to make the ceremony as short as possible because he wanted to go out of the house. I didn’t realise it at the time but I now know that he wanted to get to his business.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:51 PM

Does anyone here remember being born? My earliest memory is of stealing a sweet from the desk of a girl in my first year at infant school. I suppose I would have been five years old.
I think my earliest was at about age three. My sister was about five, my cousin about about six months older.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:54 PM

What a lovely photo, Besoeker!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top