Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 04:54 PM

More folk tradition

After the unexpected interest in my morris dancer thread, it seemed a good idea to ride on the back of its success and stick with the theme. So here is more about our rich and fascinating heritage.

There is a tradition in the Derbyshire peak district known as Well Dressing. As the name suggests, it’s all about tarting up wells to make them look pretty, mainly using flower petals. Not to be outdone, the adjacent county also has a tradition of its own.

Over the border in Yorkshire, the village of Nether Dangle has the much lesser known but more imaginative ritual of Todger Trimming, also known as festooning the hangings. Every Midsummer’s Eve, all the eligible young men of the village will bedizen their todgers with brightly coloured ribbon and little bells. Every family in the village has its own traditional set of colours and style of decoration, so each todger has family pride resting on it.

When all the bows have been neatly tied, and all the todgers had one last going over, it’s off to the maypole. To the sound of fiddle and accordion, the young men prance frivolously and trouserlessly round the pole; weaving in and out of each other, skilfully avoiding the collision of flailing todgers. The village proudly claims that there is nothing like it to be seen anywhere else in English folk tradition.

After all the dancing, cheering, merry making and song; and after the judging of the todgers, and awarding of the prizes, it’s time to bring out the mead; completely throwing caution to the wind as to the wisdom of introducing alcohol into the scenario. As the evening draws to an end, all goes quiet, save for the faint tinkling of lots of little bells as the young men, encumbered by mead, stagger through the village in pursuit of the village maidens. None are ever caught; the maidens never drink the mead.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:42 PM

Re: More folk tradition

Down here in and around Dorset and Wiltshire there are 'local' traditions that have been carried out and still going for years. One village celebrates Oak Apple day with a village fete, maypole dancing, Bowling for a pig, Morris dancing and various other traditional events that have been going on for years. Then there is the village in Gloucester that has the 'Cheese rolling' day. I have never witnessed this event but I believe it can be the cause of many a trip to hospital. Wiltshire, Dorset and Somerset are well known for keeping the traditions enjoyed by their long lost generations going and long may they last.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Down here in and around Dorset and Wiltshire there are 'local' traditions that have been carried out and still going for years. One village celebrates Oak Apple day with a village fete, maypole dancing, Bowling for a pig, Morris dancing and various other traditional events that have been going on for years.
Those events sound safer for a new member to create a thread about, I'll say that for them.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 06:23 PM

I was born on Oak Apple day. No one celebrated that where I originally lived, but here now in the semi countryside,( it was country when we moved here back in 1973, but no more). Many places celebrate traditions that relate to pagan origins. May Day & maypole dancing & many more in Cornwall.
Here they celebrate Beating The Bounds.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 06:55 PM

I come from Derbyshire and the magnificent well dressings are part of my childhood along with Ashbourne's shrove tide football. Many is the time I have frozen to the bone following the Up'Ards and the Down'Ards teams with the ball through streets and streams till 10pm

Down here in Worcestershire they have tried to copy the well dressings but they are a poor imitation of the real thing.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
After the unexpected interest in my morris dancer thread, it seemed a good idea to ride on the back of its success and stick with the theme. So here is more about our rich and fascinating heritage.

There is a tradition in the Derbyshire peak district known as Well Dressing. As the name suggests, it’s all about tarting up wells to make them look pretty, mainly using flower petals. Not to be outdone, the adjacent county also has a tradition of its own.

Over the border in Yorkshire, the village of Nether Dangle has the much lesser known but more imaginative ritual of Todger Trimming, also known as festooning the hangings. Every Midsummer’s Eve, all the eligible young men of the village will bedizen their todgers with brightly coloured ribbon and little bells. Every family in the village has its own traditional set of colours and style of decoration, so each todger has family pride resting on it.

When all the bows have been neatly tied, and all the todgers had one last going over, it’s off to the maypole. To the sound of fiddle and accordion, the young men prance frivolously and trouserlessly round the pole; weaving in and out of each other, skilfully avoiding the collision of flailing todgers. The village proudly claims that there is nothing like it to be seen anywhere else in English folk tradition.

After all the dancing, cheering, merry making and song; and after the judging of the todgers, and awarding of the prizes, it’s time to bring out the mead; completely throwing caution to the wind as to the wisdom of introducing alcohol into the scenario. As the evening draws to an end, all goes quiet, save for the faint tinkling of lots of little bells as the young men, encumbered by mead, stagger through the village in pursuit of the village maidens. None are ever caught; the maidens never drink the mead.
I've never missed the opportunity to unbag myself each year when the celebrations come round Harbal. Unfortunately, I was ejected from our local Tesco while trying to purchase the ribbons. No point buying more than I would need so I was trying them on....
Harbal
South Yorkshire

15-11-2020, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I've never missed the opportunity to unbag myself each year when the celebrations come round Harbal. Unfortunately, I was ejected from our local Tesco while trying to purchase the ribbons. No point buying more than I would need so I was trying them on....
I wonder if we both use the same Tesco, Foxy. It's possible. There is a new Lidl just down the road from me. I've only been in twice, and don't expect there to be a third time. Going on my brief acquaintance with both staff and customers in that particular branch, I suspect no one would have batted an eye lid had you done your "trying on" in there.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 08:34 PM

I wonder if we both use the same Tesco, Foxy. It's possible. There is a new Lidl just down the road from me. I've only been in twice, and don't expect there to be a third time. Going on my brief acquaintance with both staff and customers in that particular branch, I suspect no one would have batted an eye lid had you done your "trying on" in there.
Ha ha I know what you mean Harbal....
There's a better class of customer in our Tesco....
I think you might be the other end of town from me.
Tesco at Edenthorpe is my nearest shop.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

15-11-2020, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Tesco at Edenthorpe is my nearest shop.
My local is Wath-Upon-Dearne. I am familiar with the Edenthorpe shop, though. I used to deliver bread to it way back when it was Hillards.

That's 35 years ago, for God's sake.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

15-11-2020, 08:49 PM

My local is Wath-Upon-Dearne. I am familiar with the Edenthorpe shop, though. I used to deliver bread to it way back when it was Hillards.

That's 35 years ago, for God's sake.
Blimey yes Harbal!...
I remember it being Hillards, at that time we had a 'Fairway' supermarket in the our village but it closed and they built a pub on the land. After that we started to shop at Tesco and been there ever since.

Mrs Fox was born and raised in Thurnscoe, and most of her family still live there and Goldthorpe. Does tha' know!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top