Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:16 AM

Shamed!

OMG! Was I shamed on Thursday. We had arranged for a Gas Safety Engineer to come and do his usual yearly safety check with the cooker, pipes, meters, boiler etc, Part of the check involves checking the Gas Coal Effect Fire that we have in the front room, Although we have central heating we do like to have the fire on in these chillier evenings as a nice focal feature, so although we have carbon monoxide warning system, we still like to have it fully checked for safety.

I digress. Now, I don't know about you but if ANYONE is coming into my home I have to ensure that it is spotless. (I am a Virgo and we are renowned for being perfectionists). So, for two hours before his appointed visit, there was I going through every single room ensuring everything was spotless, After I had finished (even swapping my scrupulously bleached white dishcloth with a new one) just in case he was one of those who judged people by their cleanliness standard! I know, I know.

Anyway, with cushions all plumped up neatly with a final spray of Fabreeze, I welcomed the Gas Fitter into our home to do his checks, thinking to myself - ''I dare you to find anything wrong, (if you remember from my previous posts, HWMO was a Fire Safety/Risk Assessment officer before retiring).

The Gas safety chap did his checks throughout the house and then sat at the kitchen table filling out the safety certificate keeping a safe distance while chatting to HWMO about work etc. '' Everything okay then?'' I confidently asked him as he got up to leave. ''Yes, fine'' he said, but I do recommend that you put the hoover under the fire as there seems to be quite a lot of dust buildup in there''

Aarrgghh! to me that was like saying my house was dirty!!! I was mortified! It was the only place that I had forgotten to hoover. I can't even remember the last time I got down on my knees with my face parallel to the floor while I stuck the hoover into that dark black crevice where the pipes live under the fire. Isn't it stupid? Of course, in my mind it wasn't MY fault, HWMO used to be fire risk assessment? fire safety? why didn't he remind me to check under there? Of course again, that was just an excuse for my red faced guilt!! The moment he left, out came the hoover and I did just that, but it was tooooooo late. I was even tempted to take a photo on my phone and send it to him in the hope he would reply and say Well Done!
HWMO is convinced I am doolally but I can't help it, I am not so house-proud that someone dare not wear their shoes indoors, but no-one surely likes to hear criticism over cleanliness (cos that is what it felt like even if he didn't see it that way) You must know what I mean.

Oh well, there you have it. At least I will never forget to do under there again. I wouldn't mind but several times a year I remove the grate to clean and polish the brass, still didn't dawn on me to use the hoover first before replacing it though! DOH!

Has there ever been a moment in your life where you felt shamed over something? Not a nice feeling.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:45 AM

Re: Shamed!

You could have said you keep the dust there undisturbed because that's where Bartholomew, your pet spider likes to sleep.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 12:08 PM

SG, You could have said, you left the dust there to build up, for insulating purposes!

When l had three children under the age of five, there wasn’t much time for lots of housework (there still isn’t!)
Anyway, one evening, some old friends came round to visit. Well you can imagine how mortified l was to notice after they’d left that an Ercol dark wood coffee table l kept the telephone on in the hall, had the words ‘Clean Me’ written in the dust!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 12:59 PM

SG I expect he has seen a whole lot worse .

A repair man who came to mend my previous cooker told me they go to some terrible houses....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

A repair man who came to mend my previous cooker told me they go to some terrible houses....
I have been in houses where I have literally wiped my feet on the way out. In fact, the gas engineer who was also booked to work there refused to go inside.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

I worked on Natural Gas conversion in the late 1960's, latterly as an appliance surveyor. In that capacity, I visited thousands of houses in the West Midlands - the filthy condition of some of the gas cookers that I had to inspect was unbelievable - many had a thick layer of grease and dirt on all surfaces and a mass of decomposing food underneath.

In those days, there was no PPE available so I had to use any item available, with my bare hands, to scrape the layer off the identification label .....

Boilers, water heaters. fires, etc. were never as bad but sometimes appliances such as portable fires and irons had to be retrieved from dark and spider-ridden recesses of a property ......
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 02:46 PM

I went into some bad places. Customers would be embarrassed when I started to clean off the dark brown film that had built up on the TV screen ..but marvelled at how much clearer the picture was when done.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 03:02 PM

Oh dear SG...Will you ever be able to hold your head up agin in polite society? Made me larf though
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 03:09 PM

I am keeping my dust and cobwebs and will spray them gold at Christmas.
Adds to the decor.

pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 03:12 PM

I have never been shamed in that area,Cinderella,my question is,why would you feel shame over that?

My storage heater died on me,when the diy man came to remove it,there were cobwebs and dust behind it...I was unable to clean behind it....I certainly never felt any shame......I also am a Virgo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top