Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 11:35 AM

Fossil Fuel ending.

The UK government has now set deadlines for the end of the age of pollution in the UK. Gas powered domestic heaters - ending. Polluting vehicles - ending. Polluting ships - being addressed. Polluting power generation - ending. It's going to be a huge game changer but one that is so very necessary.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:07 PM

Re: Fossil Fuel ending.

Yes, the planet must just about fully De-Gassed by now, time for a new era.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 12:42 PM

No more petrol lawn mowers or garden petrol tools. no idea how parks will manage keeping the grass cut let alone football and sports fields. No more historic steam trains to marvel at.
Even grass pavement verges wil be left to grow.

ok what about farmers and fields? electric combione harvesters? I don't think so let alone all the other farm tools like tractors etc.

GO green NO not totally. electric cars wot a load of cobblers not enough range let alone plug in places .

I do wonder were these total idiots get their ideas from. It is about time sensible people told these environmentally friendly people where to go
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 01:12 PM

This will mean a radical change in how we live. It was inevitable that the pandemic would result in a "new normal", over history such disasters always have. In the case of the Black Death it totally changed British society in every way.

For one thing it resulted in the end of fiefdoms and a move from the country to towns and cities and resulting in huge changes in the way people lived.

But in addition we are facing a revolution as far reaching, if not more so, than the agricultural revolution, the industrial revolution, the information revolution - each of which were total game changers, into the Green revolution. It is going to be a game changer too. Changes in how we live.

Agriculture machinery? Fuel cells. Sorted. Lawn mowers? Battery. Power tools? Battery. Industrial heavy plant? Fuel cells. Domestic heating? Electric and heat exchangers - more heat out than electricity in. We've got five already working fine.

Where other changes will come about is in such things as air transport. That will be changed totally, private car ownership, much reduced but probably a surge in motorcycle ownership and sidecars back in vogue!

It's coming. It'll be very different, it'll be uncomfortable for many - but TINA!
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
This will mean a radical change in how we live. It was inevitable that the pandemic would result in a "new normal", over history such disasters always have. In the case of the Black Death it totally changed British society in every way.

For one thing it resulted in the end of fiefdoms and a move from the country to towns and cities and resulting in huge changes in the way people lived.

But in addition we are facing a revolution as far reaching, if not more so, than the agricultural revolution, the industrial revolution, the information revolution - each of which were total game changers, into the Green revolution. It is going to be a game changer too. Changes in how we live.

Agriculture machinery? Fuel cells. Sorted. Lawn mowers? Battery. Power tools? Battery. Industrial heavy plant? Fuel cells. Domestic heating? Electric and heat exchangers - more heat out than electricity in. We've got five already working fine.

Where other changes will come about is in such things as air transport. That will be changed totally, private car ownership, much reduced but probably a surge in motorcycle ownership and sidecars back in vogue!

It's coming. It'll be very different, it'll be uncomfortable for many - but TINA!
If indeed such things as private car ownership must change then so too must where millions (or even billions) of people live.
Without a car and without efficient public transport there is no way can the huge majority of people survive outside of major connurbations.
The problem is that a decline in rural habitation would adversely affect agriculture.
It's a conundrum which (with current knowledge) is not easy to solve.

But as it happens I generally agree with you and yes it will be very different and very uncomfortable for many.
Far better we start now than be forced into things by the inevitavble calamity should we continue merrily down the current path.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 05:15 PM

The UK government has now set deadlines for the end of the age of pollution in the UK. Gas powered domestic heaters - ending. Polluting vehicles - ending. Polluting ships - being addressed. Polluting power generation - ending. It's going to be a huge game changer but one that is so very necessary.
Maybe but I do feel as though we are being kicked in the b*****ks over and over.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK

19-11-2020, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Maybe but I do feel as though we are being kicked in the b*****ks over and over.
But by who? I can totally accept the need and the urgency of these environmental changes but don't for an instant believe they are being driven by anything other than necessity.

The frightening thing is how many people especially in the First World refuse to believe the terrible damage that has been done to OUR environment by global environmental change either directly (in my opinion) or made very much worse by mankind activities.

Well it's game over time. Changes to how we live are going to have to be accepted. TINA.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 08:40 PM

I'm all for it, if it can be made to work.

Problem is ... we can do it, but we're a tiny island, we can't save the planet alone. But every little helps. 😐
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
No more petrol lawn mowers or garden petrol tools. no idea how parks will manage keeping the grass cut let alone football and sports fields. No more historic steam trains to marvel at.
Even grass pavement verges wil be left to grow.

ok what about farmers and fields? electric combione harvesters? I don't think so let alone all the other farm tools like tractors etc.

GO green NO not totally. electric cars wot a load of cobblers not enough range let alone plug in places .

I do wonder were these total idiots get their ideas from. It is about time sensible people told these environmentally friendly people where to go

They are already testing electric tractors Speedy.
They were using them on 'Countryfile' a couple of months back.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 08:50 PM

But by who? I can totally accept the need and the urgency of these environmental changes but don't for an instant believe they are being driven by anything other than necessity.

The frightening thing is how many people especially in the First World refuse to believe the terrible damage that has been done to OUR environment by global environmental change either directly (in my opinion) or made very much worse by mankind activities.

Well it's game over time. Changes to how we live are going to have to be accepted. TINA.

Todger, what's this TINA you keep saying about?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top