Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 04:07 PM

Ambitions

When you were at school what ambitions did you have? What did you want to do when you left school?
Right from a very young age I always wanted to join the navy. In my fourteenth year I sat and passed the entry exams for Dartmouth but sadly my parents could not afford to annual fees so that dream went out of the window.
I ended up serving eight and a half years in His Majesties Army.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 04:12 PM

Re: Ambitions

What a shame you couldn't go to Dartmouth. I have been as a visitor, it's an amazing place. Hope you did well in the army.

My one ambition was to work with horses & I did, not all the time, but I always found horses to ride/look after were ever I went. I was so very lucky.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
When you were at school what ambitions did you have? What did you want to do when you left school?
Right from a very young age I always wanted to join the navy. In my fourteenth year I sat and passed the entry exams for Dartmouth but sadly my parents could not afford to annual fees so that dream went out of the window.
I ended up serving eight and a half years in His Majesties Army.
Not a bad job!
Mine was school then on to electrical engineering and that's it. For the rest of my life.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 05:49 PM

No real ambitions but when I was 14, a gang of us had a 'club hut' which was a disused hay loft in a pub yard (my mate's Dad was the landlord). My parents donated our old 14" Stella TV. We fixed up an aerial and it worked sort of OK. Seeing as how it was my parents who gave us the TV, I got the job of tweaking and looking after it.

That seems to have set the pattern for life. Always destined to be a TV engineer. 36 years man and boy.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 07:08 PM

I was determined to be a pilot but couldn't stand school, so I left at 15 and went to work in the mines, ironically I guess you couldn't get further away from the sky than that...
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 07:13 PM

I did not have a clue what I wanted to be,
my mate used to joke he wanted to be a lollipop man as you didn’t start work until you were 65...
One day as I was approaching my sixteenth birthday, my dad said he’d found me a job, as an apprentice electrician, not something I’d ever thought of as you had to be good at maths
( not true for house bashing)
I enjoyed it but unfortunately I was made redundant twice...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 07:40 PM

I was fairly ambitious but by 24 years old l was married and had children. My life as many others in the 1970’s was on hold, whilst l stayed at home to look after my children.

My ambition was then targeted to my husband who had now become my ‘vehicle’ for achieving in life. I admit l pushed him and he rose to a high position in Education within local government.
Was l being selfish just for the prestige and money? No, it was recognising his talents and pushing him to achieve them.

When my children became of school age. I returned to work and went on to other things.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2020, 07:52 PM

In Junior school I wanted to be a jellycoptor pilot, but that was a kid's dream with no prospect of success.
At Grammar school I was good at metalwork, even achieving an O Level in it. The school had a casting shop and a forge, so I decided I wanted to be a Blacksmith, but I was unable to get an apprenticeship.

A very helpful careers officer at the local Town Hall advised me to apply to colleges and universities. I ended up at college in my home town with a sponsored engineering apprenticeship in my Dad and brother's home town. On completion I got a job testing jet engines for a living and did that until I retired.

I do have my own anvil that belonged to my maternal Granddad, so I do get to bend a little iron every now and then.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 09:51 AM

Good Morning All.
It seems strange that so many of us have never achieved our childhood dreams. No doubt we have not done too bad in what we have become though. Although it was always my desire to join the navy I ended up joining the army. I did rather well. Tank commander and when we changed from tanks to armoured cars, an armoured car commander.
I had one very fortunate 'escape' once which probably saved the lives of me and my crew.
I will go into this with you later as my lady cleaner has just arrived and I must keep out of her way for an hour
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2020, 09:58 AM

I can't say I ever had ambitions to be anything when I was young...just to survive would do me. Once I started working though it mattered to me to be good at my job.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top