Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 10:52 PM

Re: Orb-weaver spider

I love spiders. I had an orb spider last year build a massive web near the door I keep open for the dogs. She caught hundreds of mosquitos and was a fascinating guest. I gave her protection from the elements and an endless supply off food. I felt quite bad when I eventually found her lifeless body on the decking after she disappeared one day. Her web spinning was one of the most glorious things I've ever witnessed.

I have high ceilings and let the house spiders live in the corners of the rooms during mosquito months. We don't need insecticides as a result - no worries about those little vectors . When the temperatures cool and the mosquitos wane, I move the spiders outdoors, clean up the webs and we all live happily ever after - or at least until the next mosquito season.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 12:17 PM

That looks different to our Orb Weavers. I get the big bastards in my garden, their webs are incredibly sticky and enormous. The consistently span a 2 metre gap between the house and my fence, I then walk into the web which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	120421 002 Orb Weaving Spider.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	14890  
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
That looks different to our Orb Weavers. I get the big bastards in my garden, their webs are incredibly sticky and enormous. The consistently span a 2 metre gap between the house and my fence, I then walk into the web which sticks like the proverbial to a blanket.

Wow Bruce! That’s impressive
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
I love spiders. I had an orb spider last year build a massive web near the door I keep open for the dogs. She caught hundreds of mosquitos and was a fascinating guest. I gave her protection from the elements and an endless supply off food. I felt quite bad when I eventually found her lifeless body on the decking after she disappeared one day. Her web spinning was one of the most glorious things I've ever witnessed.

I have high ceilings and let the house spiders live in the corners of the rooms during mosquito months. We don't need insecticides as a result - no worries about those little vectors . When the temperatures cool and the mosquitos wane, I move the spiders outdoors, clean up the webs and we all live happily ever after - or at least until the next mosquito season.

Whilst I’m terrified of all creepy crawlers, I’ve learnt to coexist alongside them and appreciate them. They belong on the planet as much as I do, there’s nowhere else for them to go.

It’s truly beautiful- my cell phone does not do it justice.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top