Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 04:34 PM

Re: Those good old days

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
Imprisoned for sex offences. I bet he isn't laughing now.
He'll be OK provided he found the soap in the showers in time!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 04:55 PM

Childhood was freer - less organized, more self-deterministic, and with a much bigger territory:

* Finding a piece of old wood that became the basis for building a raft that would never sail.
* Playing hiding games and eating oranges in the orchards behind the house.
* Building high forts in the eucalyptus trees with cast off wood from building sights, and making other forts with tumbleweeds stacked sky high.
* Making boats and other structures to sail down the gutters, usually peppered with some kid daring some other kid to drink the gutter water.
*Playing board games until someone threw the board,
*Riding bikes doing modifications like adding a playing card attached to the spokes with a clothes pin or just turning them upside-down to spin the wheels, clean or make other supposed "repairs."
* Drawing bike and roller skate courses on the street with chalk and having to wash them off at the end of the day because someone's mom said we had to,
* Making catapults and launching things - or just using the see-saw to launch stuff.
* Spending twenty minutes establishing and fighting about rules for football, four square, baseball, etc. and never really getting on with the game.
*Stealing utensils from the house to dig holes to China or otherwise dig pits.
*Establishing some territory and club that was all about defending said territory by amassing clods of dirt, snowballs or other items to be launched against a never-seen enemy. Plenty of discussion about who was in charge.

Life was better when there were no screens.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 05:06 PM

The things we played during games lessons.
Football, Rugby, Cricket, Rounders (the original tough version not the softy American version called baseball), Basketball, Volleyball, Pirates (when every piece of gym equipment was set out as an obstacle course and the person who was "It" would try and catch everyone, or make them fall in the water (the floor), Hockey against the girls, but only the once. We boys went back to the much gentler game of rugger after that.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 05:09 PM

Hockey against the girls, but only the once. We boys went back to the much gentler game of rugger after that.
Ugh, Hockey....I hated hockey during PE at school. I was always getting hit in the shin - by others or even doing it myself!
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 05:25 PM

Dodge ball.

The most evil game ever invented. Lord of the Flies at its worst.

Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Dodge ball.

The most evil game ever invented. Lord of the Flies at its worst.

I don't think it had a name, but we played a one sided version of that at junior school. Pupils had to run across in front of a wall and others would try to hit them with a ball as they went past.

In Rounders, the ball was thrown at the batter/runner, not to someone standing at the corners. It was not usually a soft ball.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:00 PM

I remember that as well, although I think the girls sang "turn" rather than "go".

You didn't go to primary school in Lincolnshire in the early sixties did you?
Haha, no I didn't, I'm afraid! Isn't it funny, though, how these games and chants seem to have a life of their own? Adults don't teach them to children - they're just passed on in the playground, much like folklore being handed down, but only from child to child. And they appear in much the same form all over the country. I find the whole topic fascinating.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

24-02-2021, 11:39 PM

British Bulldog was my favourite
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
I loved Bill & Ben
I assume you haven't heard the allegations regarding Weed.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-02-2021, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Tubby ->
British Bulldog was my favourite
It was hard on the Estate, finding enough kids capable of counting 1, 2, 3.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top