Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 12:29 PM

Do-it-yourself tests

What do the ladies make of these DIY smear tests they are offering now?

It will not affect some of us I know, but if it did, would you rather try and do your own testing, or leave it to a professional?

Without going into too much detail, I am not sure how this can work to be honest.

One down side to me would be you not able to talk or discuss anything with anyone, as well as the physical difficulties in obtaining a correct sample.

So, is it a good idea, or a bad one?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-56168170
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 12:37 PM

Re: Do-it-yourself tests

Its not a test as such from what I heard, its a simpler process just to check for certain proteins (I think) which if are present means the bona fide test needs to be done pronto.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 12:50 PM

When I was younger & had regular smear tests our then GP loved doing them. He'd grin at you & chat while fishing around inside you. Nice man, but really he was.
Even saying that, I'd much rather leave it to the Doc, who should know what he or she is doing.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 02:25 PM

Its always a nurse who does them at my practice. I would rather a female professional took to do with it. Gives me the heebie jeebies to have a male doctor rummaging around - eww, no thank you!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Its always a nurse who does them at my practice. I would rather a female professional took to do with it. Gives me the heebie jeebies to have a male doctor rummaging around - eww, no thank you!

I feel same as you Pixie.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

26-02-2021, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Its not a test as such from what I heard, its a simpler process just to check for certain proteins (I think) which if are present means the bona fide test needs to be done pronto.

Perhaps they will make a DIY male prostate test too, Spitty.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 02:34 PM

I wonder when we'll be getting DIY mammograms? That'd be a big parcel to get through the letterbox
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bathsheba ->
I wonder when we'll be getting DIY mammograms? That'd be a big parcel to get through the letterbox
Ha! I haven't even been for one yet. Still got a year to go before I'm overdue, but what with the backlog of everything, I actually wouldn't mind a DIY version, just for reassurance!
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 03:48 PM

I understand these longer cotton buds are designed to check for cells that will eventually become cancer. If those cells are found then you will still have to go for a smear test, but it does mean that many young women, who are too embarrassed to go for a smear test, will still find out if there is a chance of cancer forming.
I think it is a good idea & hope that it will make women get checked if their DIY test shows there may be a problem. It could also save NHS money on unnecessary smear tests, for those women who are too embarrassed to have them and may not need them .
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I understand these longer cotton buds are designed to check for cells that will eventually become cancer. If those cells are found then you will still have to go for a smear test, but it does mean that many young women, who are too embarrassed to go for a smear test, will still find out if there is a chance of cancer forming.
I think it is a good idea & hope that it will make women get checked if their DIY test shows there may be a problem. It could also save NHS money on unnecessary smear tests, for those women who are too embarrassed to have them and may not need them .
It will also save the NHS a shedload of cash due to missed appointments too. V thinks that's really the driving force behind this DIY test.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top