Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 10:22 AM

Re: New Computer

Well done Swimmy I hate getting new 'tech' of any kind .

I always have Dell having inherited my first 2 from my son all set up and ready to go so it was a case of stick to that which is familiar .
The last one I set up myself and it was easier than I expected.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
How does this compare with CCleaner?
There are so many "Cleaning" programs, these days, and a search for the best product often just leads to trick comparisons whereby the comparer turns out to be the creator of one of the products!

Perhaps the safest way is to go on recommendations made by users.

Trouble is, the famous "Japanese Car syndrome" often leads users to claim that the one they bought is the best

I've tried a lot, over the years, the built in ones, Ccleaner, etc, and have settled on the one (first recommended by someone on here) called Privazer.

This had three advantages, in my opinion, starting with "Easy to set up & run", then "depth of analysis", and finally, "the price."

I get the full "donor" version which I donate just a few pounds per year for.

Far better than some of the free versions & some very expensive others.

But, to each his/her own!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I've tried a lot, over the years, the built in ones, Ccleaner, etc, and have settled on the one (first recommended by someone on here *) called Privazer.

This had three advantages, in my opinion, starting with "Easy to set up & run", then "depth of analysis", and finally, "the price."

I get the full "donor" version which I donate just a few pounds per year for.

Far better than some of the free versions & some very expensive others.

But, to each his/her own!
* It was me .....

PrivaZer is an excellent product - suitable for clueless and expert alike .....

After many years of use, I gave up Piriform Ccleaner because it was taken over by Avast with unpleasant results:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCleaner

Data collection

Upon its release, the Active Monitoring component of CCleaner 5.45 incorporated a data collection module that collected information from computers without the consent of their owners. Piriform claims that it did not collect personally identifiable information. After criticism later versions allowed data collection to be controlled separately by the user, although data collection is still on by default.

Bundled software
In December 2018, it was reported that users installing CCleaner would also have Avast Antivirus installed without their permission, with TechSpot claiming this arguably made CCleaner no better than the malware it was supposed to defend against. Piriform denied this.

In July 2020, Microsoft Windows Defender began flagging the free version of CCleaner as a "potentially unwanted application", stating that "while the bundled applications themselves are legitimate, bundling of software, especially products from other providers, can result in unexpected software activity that can negatively impact user experiences."

Malware infection
After Piriform was acquired by Avast, in September 2017, CCleaner 5.33 was compromised by the incorporation into the distributed program of the Floxif trojan horse that could install a backdoor, enabling remote access to 2.27 million[35] infected machines. Forty of the infected machines received a second-stage payload that appears to have targeted technology companies Samsung, Sony, Asus, Intel, VMWare, O2, Singtel, Gauselmann, Dyn, Chunghwa and Fujitsu. On 13 September, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud 1.07.3191, without the malicious code.

On 21 October 2019, Avast disclosed a second security breach during which hackers tried again to insert malware inside CCleaner releases. That attempt was unsuccessful.
Nevertheless, I downloaded the latest version recently to assist in cleaning up my old laptop ..... and it did a great job, finding lots of "stuff" that PrivaZer had missed ..... so, for the moment, I'm keeping it.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Nevertheless, I downloaded the latest version recently to assist in cleaning up my old laptop ..... and it did a great job, finding lots of "stuff" that PrivaZer had missed ..... so, for the moment, I'm keeping it.
My laptop cleaning has finished and CCleaner is stll getting adverse reviews so I'm uninstalling it .....

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top