Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 09:13 PM

Re: Bowls

Originally Posted by Minx ->
DooD I’m still trying to figure out this comment
Like you Minx dear, there's regular bowl movement.

TMI, I know. 😐
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
like you minx dear, there's regular bowl movement.

Tmi, i know. 😐
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 09:51 PM

Since no tips are forthcoming, I’m guessing no
OFF members play bowls
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 06:17 AM

Oh, that's excellent, Minx. I had to look up the rules of the game, but it sounds like fun!

Let us know how it goes.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

27-02-2021, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Oh, that's excellent, Minx. I had to look up the rules of the game, but it sounds like fun!

Let us know how it goes.
I will definitely do so Surfermom. Hopefully the clinic will take place next Saturday
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 08:25 AM

Good luck, you may be Bowled Over.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 12:39 PM

I used to play indoor short mat bowls. The mats were kept in a garage, wheeled out and unrolled in a local school hall where we played for fun, then rolled it all back up again afterwards.
The mats were 40 feet long, and because they were much shorter than a full sized green, a wooden block was placed in the middle such that you had to bowl around it.
Other than that, the woods and the jack were the same size.

I only played on a full sized outdoor green once, but I thoroughly enjoyed both versions.
It was more about getting together with others than about the game, except when we played other clubs in a competition.

You will need to pick your woods carefully. They come in different sizes so you need a set that will fit snugly in your hand. I have small hands so played with a size two, increasing numbers being bigger and heavier.

The woods are not spherical, but a sort of slightly squashed shape. They are not weighted on one side to make them turn, but are curved on one side more than the other.
The "sides" of each wood are marked so you know which way they will turn/curve.
Get it the wrong way round and they will end up in the next lane, which is not considered "cricket".

Mine had a large motif on the outer side and the same but smaller motif on the inner side.
If you hold the wood with say the inner side to the left of your hand, when you bowl them they will curve to the left. Consequently you would need to aim to the right so it goes out in an arc and curves back again.
If you hold the wood the other way round then it will curve in the opposite direction.

I'm sure all of this will be explained and shown how it works before you get to lob a wood or two. They will also tell you if there is any particular type of footwear you need to wear, or avoid.

Even if you are no good at it, I'm sure you will have fun. Just don't drop a wood on your foot!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

01-03-2021, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Good luck, you may be Bowled Over.
Nice word play Spitty!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

01-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I used to play indoor short mat bowls. The mats were kept in a garage, wheeled out and unrolled in a local school hall where we played for fun, then rolled it all back up again afterwards.
The mats were 40 feet long, and because they were much shorter than a full sized green, a wooden block was placed in the middle such that you had to bowl around it.
Other than that, the woods and the jack were the same size.

I only played on a full sized outdoor green once, but I thoroughly enjoyed both versions.
It was more about getting together with others than about the game, except when we played other clubs in a competition.

You will need to pick your woods carefully. They come in different sizes so you need a set that will fit snugly in your hand. I have small hands so played with a size two, increasing numbers being bigger and heavier.

The woods are not spherical, but a sort of slightly squashed shape. They are not weighted on one side to make them turn, but are curved on one side more than the other.
The "sides" of each wood are marked so you know which way they will turn/curve.
Get it the wrong way round and they will end up in the next lane, which is not considered "cricket".

Mine had a large motif on the outer side and the same but smaller motif on the inner side.
If you hold the wood with say the inner side to the left of your hand, when you bowl them they will curve to the left. Consequently you would need to aim to the right so it goes out in an arc and curves back again.
If you hold the wood the other way round then it will curve in the opposite direction.

I'm sure all of this will be explained and shown how it works before you get to lob a wood or two. They will also tell you if there is any particular type of footwear you need to wear, or avoid.

Even if you are no good at it, I'm sure you will have fun. Just don't drop a wood on your foot!
Thanks for the detailed advice Fruitcake! I watched some YouTube videos as well but your explanation is way better
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-03-2021, 09:07 PM

There are some people in the walking group I used to be a member of who have been playing Bowls for years. They are really keen on it. It has this image of being an older person's game but I'm told a good number of young people take it up as well. Quite a skilled game anyway.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top