Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 05:54 AM

Microwave Power - a surprise result

You know how it says on some packets "...heating times given are for a 1000 watt Microwave oven"? I carried out an experiment today with interesting results.

Shortly I am going on a short trip with my daughter as a precursor to our trip to Camerons Corner in May. I have a small microwave oven in my camper which I wanted to test out for one particular purpose.

I have these plastic/metal devices for boiling eggs in a microwave which basically consist of a Faraday cage for the egg (to stop it exploding) which is cooked by steam from a small amount of water contained outside the Faraday cage.

The same device is used regularly in my kitchen in a much larger microwave so I wanted to test how long it takes for the small microwave to boil the water (obviously once boiling the time taken to cook the egg(s) is the same).

One tablespoon of water is all that is required so I put the 20ml in a shot glass so I could see how long it took to boil in each microwave.

The 950 watt microwave in the kitchen took 26 seconds to bring the 20ml to boiling however in the 750watt microwave in the camper it only took 18 seconds.

I have read that not only the power but the volume and shape of a the oven has a lot to do with the microwave oven's effectiveness/efficiency and the lower power microwave oven is much smaller than the kitchen one. Even so I thought it was quite a surprising result - previously I have calculated the time required for cooking/heating in proportion to the wattage but it appears that is not necessarily the case.

Fascinating eh?
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 08:40 AM

Re: Microwave Power - a surprise result

I don't have any experience of heating stuff from packets with "heating times". I rarely use a MW but when I do it's always a case of sticking it in and hoping for the best.

Potatoes unpeeled: 5 minutes, remove, stab, rearrange, MW for a further 2 or 3 minutes. remove, brown in a proper oven.

Takeaway curry/rice mix in big pyrex with plate on top: 2 minutes, remove, stir, MW for a further 1 or 2 minutes.

Fascinating eh?

When we had a camper, back in the 80s, we had one of these:

Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
I don't have any experience of heating stuff from packets with "heating times". I rarely use a MW but when I do it's always a case of sticking it in and hoping for the best.

Potatoes unpeeled: 5 minutes, remove, stab, rearrange, MW for a further 2 or 3 minutes. remove, brown in a proper oven.

Takeaway curry/rice mix in big pyrex with plate on top: 2 minutes, remove, stir, MW for a further 1 or 2 minutes.

Fascinating eh?

[IMG]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/8106w%2BlT5ML._AC_SL1500_.jpg[/I.
. Me too, dOOd, fancy taking a microwave camping eh ?
I suppose caravanning is classed as camping now ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 08:17 PM

I know what you mean. Finding yourself, bonding, discovering the meaning of life around a camp fire microwave oven ... 😐
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-02-2021, 11:10 PM

How quaintly old worldy, these days I use one of these:

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

27-02-2021, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
. Me too, dOOd, fancy taking a microwave camping eh ?
I suppose caravanning is classed as camping now ??

Donkeyman! 🤗🤗
I know what you mean. Finding yourself, bonding, discovering the meaning of life around a camp fire microwave oven ... 😐
Yep, things have certainly moved on since you were travelling with your swag round the wilds of England 5 km from the nearest Tescos.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top