Join for free
Page 19 of 35 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:01 PM

Re: Misled Over Brexit ? Certainly Looks That way !

Originally Posted by JBR ->
But you originally said that you 'can't answer'.
Now you're changing it to 'can't be bothered to answer'.
When I said I can't answer, it was my lack of motivation that was preventing me, so those two responses are not as different as you seem to think.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
Honest MP's and honest PM's are a thing of great rarity.
Honest politicians no matter where are a rarity.
Hardly surprising really, since full and complete honesty would propably see them out of a job.
We don't trust them; here we hold them to account and then vote them out if we don't agree with what they are doing.
That's how the Tories won in 2019.
Regarding Brexit however it has been pretty much delivered - not to everybody's complete satisfaction I grant you, but any sensible person knew that was an impossible task.

We are out, and that must be so because not only to the hardline Brexiters like Farage, the ERG accept that to be the case but so does the strongly pro-EU majority of UK media.
If they thought it to be BRINO we can be pretty certain that they would be both extremely vocal and exhilarated at achieving that, and the crowing would not stop.
There is as we know no such crowing, and that one fact alone really says it all.
There are legitimate reasons for wanting to be out of the EU, some of which any mainstream politician would be unwise to voice, and that is probably why a lot of them cited fictitious economic benefits instead. Our economy will suffer because of Brexit, that seems inevitable to me, let's just be honest about it.

As for Boris, he didn't have strong convictions about leaving the EU. He could have gone either way, right up to the moment when he declared which side he was on. You'll no doubt remember that period leading up to it, when Cameron was on tenter hooks, waiting for Boris's decision. All Boris was interested in was what was best for his career ambitions, and I think the outcome was far more successful for him than even he expected.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
When I said I can't answer, it was my lack of motivation that was preventing me, so those two responses are not as different as you seem to think.
Ah! My apologies. An understandable misunderstanding...
perhaps.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

28-02-2021, 04:32 PM

Ah! My apologies. An understandable misunderstanding...
perhaps.
That depends on whether you understand it.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
National elections in EU countries could change the negotiating approach of individual member states.
I doubt that very much Cinders because individual member states are not allowed to negotiate with other parties. Any and all negotiations are by the EU Commission or someone appointed by them. Even the steering committees have no real power from what I saw in that series of documentaries featuring Ver Hofstad and Co.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 04:57 PM

That depends on whether you understand it.
I understand more than you think.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

28-02-2021, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I doubt that very much Cinders because individual member states are not allowed to negotiate with other parties. Any and all negotiations are by the EU Commission or someone appointed by them. Even the steering committees have no real power from what I saw in that series of documentaries featuring Ver Hofstad and Co.
I wonder?

We were once under the complete control of the EU Commission, as are all the member states of the EU, yet we managed to withdraw from their control.

Is it not possible, then, for one or more of them to achieve what we did... or better?

In fact, I predict that exactly that will happen in time.
As I have said before, all empires eventually collapse and break apart.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 05:16 PM

I wonder?

We were once under the complete control of the EU Commission, as are all the member states of the EU, yet we managed to withdraw from their control.

Is it not possible, then, for one or more of them to achieve what we did... or better?

In fact, I predict that exactly that will happen in time.
As I have said before, all empires eventually collapse and break apart.
Of course it's eminently possible but I wouldn't hold my breath. All a member state has to do is hold a referendum. If the result of that is for leaving the EU, then that country issues an Art 50 notice - just like we did.
Harbal
South Yorkshire

28-02-2021, 05:45 PM

I understand more than you think.
I've already allowed for that.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2021, 05:48 PM

There are legitimate reasons for wanting to be out of the EU, some of which any mainstream politician would be unwise to voice, and that is probably why a lot of them cited fictitious economic benefits instead. Our economy will suffer because of Brexit, that seems inevitable to me, let's just be honest about it.
In a word: no.
Already Brexit has resulted in our vaccination success which in turn is leading to us leaving Covid restrictions earlier than most major developed nations and this in turn is boosting the economy.
Already.

As for Boris, he didn't have strong convictions about leaving the EU. He could have gone either way, right up to the moment when he declared which side he was on. You'll no doubt remember that period leading up to it, when Cameron was on tenter hooks, waiting for Boris's decision. All Boris was interested in was what was best for his career ambitions, and I think the outcome was far more successful for him than even he expected.
You have a chance of being correct, but if that proves to be true and it damages the future of this country enough for the electorate to notice it will cost both him and his party dearly in the next GE.

Page 19 of 35 « First < 9 17 18 19 20 21 29 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top