Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 01:57 PM

Re: Dido Harding will face MPs on Wednesday 3 February

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
From the supposed questioners it is indeed, the argumentative bunch that are only trying to justify their wages!
As has been very correctly said by Dido: testing and tracing alone are not a silver bullet.
The T&T system has cost a fortune to set up and operate. Would you rather that it's effectiveness (cost and operational) not be scrutinised?
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Track and Trace has been used for years to stop the spread of different infections.

Our system is useless, it simply does not work.
The statistics say otherwise.
Tracking and testing are only one weapon in any fight against the spread of disease because, as you must surely realise, identifying who has something alone can never stop that something from being passed on to others.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Great. I got a message at the start of the outbreak from my GP advising me that I was someone considered to be at high risk (overweight smoker probably). One would have thought that the app would alert me of localised relevant information to help make informed choices of where I need to avoid. Haven't received a dicky bird.

So, what use has it been?
Is it switched on ?

I received only one alert on my phone since I installed it about 6 months ago.

On the other hand look at it this way, your not dead.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 02:48 PM

The T&T system has cost a fortune to set up and operate. Would you rather that it's effectiveness (cost and operational) not be scrutinised?
I would rather see rational and appropriate scrutiny than the irrational and poorly-timed media-inspired blame-game attitudes that we have surely by now all had quite enough of.

If it's not just an excuse for "bashing", where are the reasonable comparisons to similarly-sized countries like France and Germany?
If there aren't any, why not?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 02:51 PM

Track and trace hasn't been successful anywhere really. I think out of all of the T&T initiatives, the UK ended up with one of the best. People in Germany refused to use it completely, as they did in France, for example.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Is it switched on ?

I received only one alert on my phone since I installed it about 6 months ago.

On the other hand look at it this way, your not dead.
It's turned on. My daughter tested positive in November (asymptomatic, thank god). No alert from the App, even though my daughter was living with me.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

04-02-2021, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
I would rather see rational and appropriate scrutiny than the irrational and poorly-timed media-inspired blame-game attitudes that we have surely by now all had quite enough of.

If it's not just an excuse for "bashing", where are the reasonable comparisons to similarly-sized countries like France and Germany?
If there aren't any, why not?
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Harding was being questioned by a select committee, not the press. It was up to her to provide specific details of its effectiveness in terms of cost and value for purpose.

Nothing wrong with that, surely?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

04-02-2021, 03:33 PM

It's turned on. My daughter tested positive in November (asymptomatic, thank god). No alert from the App, even though my daughter was living with me.
Did she call the NHS line and register her positive test result ? I know the system changed to alert the household so that might be why you didn't get contacted - because your daughter can inform you of her Covid infection rather than the app ?

Who knows.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-02-2021, 03:40 PM

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but Harding was being questioned by a select committee, not the press.
Indeed, you are right:

Science and Technology Committee

The Science and Technology Committee is appointed by the House of Commons to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Office for Science and associated public bodies.

Current membership

Greg Clark MP (Conservative, Tunbridge Wells) (Chair)
Aaron Bell MP (Conservative, Newcastle-under-Lyme)
Dawn Butler MP (Labour, Brent Central)
Chris Clarkson MP (Conservative, Heywood and Middleton)
Katherine Fletcher MP (Conservative, South Ribble)
Andrew Griffith MP (Conservative, Arundel and South Downs)
Darren Jones MP (Labour, Bristol North West)
Mark Logan MP (Conservative, Bolton North East)
Carol Monaghan MP (Scottish National Party, Glasgow North West)
Graham Stringer MP (Labour, Blackley and Broughton)
Zarah Sultana MP (Labour, Coventry South)

Powers

The Committee is one of the departmental select committees, the powers of which are set out in House of Commons Standing Orders, principally in SO. No. 152.

It was up to her to provide specific details of its effectiveness in terms of cost and value for purpose.
Which, of course, she couldn't .....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

04-02-2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Indeed, you are right:

Science and Technology Committee

The Science and Technology Committee is appointed by the House of Commons to examine the expenditure, administration and policy of the Government Office for Science and associated public bodies.

Current membership

Greg Clark MP (Conservative, Tunbridge Wells) (Chair)
Aaron Bell MP (Conservative, Newcastle-under-Lyme)
Dawn Butler MP (Labour, Brent Central)
Chris Clarkson MP (Conservative, Heywood and Middleton)
Katherine Fletcher MP (Conservative, South Ribble)
Andrew Griffith MP (Conservative, Arundel and South Downs)
Darren Jones MP (Labour, Bristol North West)
Mark Logan MP (Conservative, Bolton North East)
Carol Monaghan MP (Scottish National Party, Glasgow North West)
Graham Stringer MP (Labour, Blackley and Broughton)
Zarah Sultana MP (Labour, Coventry South)

Powers

The Committee is one of the departmental select committees, the powers of which are set out in House of Commons Standing Orders, principally in SO. No. 152.

Which, of course, she couldn't .....
Dawn Butler ????

https://order-order.com/2021/02/02/d...r-memory-loss/

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top