Join for free
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 10:52 PM

Gout! Again....

I thought I had got rid of it last year when my doctor prescribed me allopurinol. I've been taking it all year but to no avail. Yesterday after my five mile walk my big toe came up all big red and shiny, and kept me awake in the wee small hours.
It looks like tomorrows long run will have to be postponed.....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 10:54 PM

Re: Gout! Again....

Oh my! OldGreyFox, I don't suffer from it but my aunty does and its the most painful thing ever - she can hardly walk some days. You have my sympathy. I hope it goes away soon
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 10:57 PM

Ouch - nasty, Foxy. One of my neighbours has gout and goes through hell with the pain at regular intervals.

You'll have to give up the 'good life' - all that venison steak, game pie, port, and stilton tsk! tsk! Stick to your ginsters and chips!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 11:10 PM

Sorry to hear that Bob, I know what it’s like believe me, I hope this ‘session’ doesn’t last too long for you.

My liking the odd drop of port makes me subject to a bit of family slagging, as you know gout was always associated with drinking port in the past for some reason or other, but I used to get it before I ever touched port.
Tubby
East Anglia
Tubby is male 

06-02-2021, 11:31 PM

I found that eating a load of cherries really helps. I think you can also get cherry concentrate from health food shops but haven't tried it.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2021, 11:59 PM

Tony has suffered from gout over the years. It's totally disfigured his poor feet & now it's hard for him to find shoes that fit.

He still has it but not so often. The drug that helps him is Colchicine. He doesn't take it all the time - just when he feels an attack coming on. A really severe attack will get better in 2 -3 days with this drug. Milder attacks get better overnight.

He was offered Allopurinol but didn't want to take anything on a daily basis.

If you haven't been offered Colchicine you could request it.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I thought I had got rid of it last year when my doctor prescribed me allopurinol. I've been taking it all year but to no avail. Yesterday after my five mile walk my big toe came up all big red and shiny, and kept me awake in the wee small hours.
It looks like tomorrows long run will have to be postponed.....
Sly old grey fox please try Schweden bitters. From any good health store. It’s an overall health tonic but is the bomb for gout and it’s herbal. You won’t be sorry - promise!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2EC7AA85-40FD-4528-8AFE-6DAFBC102AF2.jpeg
Views:	361
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	14717

Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 11:25 AM

My son in law has it , its so bad its now affecting his elbows as well as his feet/knees hes had allopurinol and Colchicine both help a bit but the long term effects are not nice reading.

He avoids pork , red meat and alcohol which helps reduce the attacks but for the pain during an attack he breaks out the happy tobacco ( weed).
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2021, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Oh my! OldGreyFox, I don't suffer from it but my aunty does and its the most painful thing ever - she can hardly walk some days. You have my sympathy. I hope it goes away soon
I can hardly walk either Pixie, and it hurts most in the early hours....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

07-02-2021, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Ouch - nasty, Foxy. One of my neighbours has gout and goes through hell with the pain at regular intervals.

You'll have to give up the 'good life' - all that venison steak, game pie, port, and stilton tsk! tsk! Stick to your ginsters and chips!
I'm just a simple man Tabby....
It was over a year since It happened last time, I thought the Allopurinol would have prevented any further attacks. And worst of all.......I've not been able to do my Sunday run....

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top