Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 03:01 PM

Re: Who Is The Best World Leader?

A number of people have mentioned Jacinda Arderne and while she acquitted herself well during the Christchurch massacre and the pandemic, I can't erase from my mine the image of her working for Tony Blair and being lauded as one of his 'prodigies'.

This may seem unfair on my part, hopefully she has left him far behind now...
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Thanks for picking up the batten Zaphod....

There's a lot more I wanted to say but I felt I was straying too far off topic...

Back on-topic and I suppose I can see the attraction to Jacinda Ardern.

Besides the obvious she seems personable and she does give the general impression of being quite capable plus she certainly has a lot of opinions which her electorate (and indeed the wider world) can at least understand if not entirely agree with.

She's not perfect though (just like the rest of us) and has her own longstanding home-grown problems which she has so far completely failed to resolve, such as the ongoing housing crisis and the dire conditions inside NZ prisons.

It must also surely be easier to manage a small country than a large one too, for example it's surely easier to shut down travel to a country that under 4 million people per year visit than one where over 40 million visit like the UK.

Before her re-election she was described as gutless and failing many of her pledges.
That's certainly not something that anybody (well not anybody completely sane) could ever say about either Vlad or Maggie.
So nice though she might be, I'm not convinced that in terms of "best world leader" she has the abilities as far as I'm concerned.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2021, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->

Back on-topic and I suppose I can see the attraction to Jacinda Ardern.

Besides the obvious she seems personable and she does give the general impression of being quite capable plus she certainly has a lot of opinions which her electorate (and indeed the wider world) can at least understand if not entirely agree with.

She's not perfect though (just like the rest of us) and has her own longstanding home-grown problems which she has so far completely failed to resolve, such as the ongoing housing crisis and the dire conditions inside NZ prisons.

It must also surely be easier to manage a small country than a large one too, for example it's surely easier to shut down travel to a country that under 4 million people per year visit than one where over 40 million visit like the UK.

Before her re-election she was described as gutless and failing many of her pledges.
That's certainly not something that anybody (well not anybody completely sane) could ever say about either Vlad or Maggie.
So nice though she might be, I'm not convinced that in terms of "best world leader" she has the abilities as far as I'm concerned.

I'll accept what everybody says here as their own opinion. Which they are totally entitled to. I agree with much of what is said.. apart from Thatcher and Putin. Maybe Ardern
(no E) is my pick because she simply doesn't go on with the same level of BS and spin that most of the others do. She is real. She stands up for her little country and kow tows to nobody. Including the strutting, bullying nouveau rich China. SCOMO has a lot to learn from her. He appears to have come some way to it. Lets hope he keeps it up. We are proud to have New Zealand as our neighbour and friend and have been for a hell of a long time.. Sure they are small but they are smart, successful and have a lot of guts. So does their leader.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I'll accept what everybody says here as their own opinion. Which they are totally entitled to. I agree with much of what is said.. apart from Thatcher and Putin. Maybe Ardern
(no E) is my pick because she simply doesn't go on with the same level of BS and spin that most of the others do. She is real. She stands up for her little country and kow tows to nobody. Including the strutting, bullying nouveau rich China. SCOMO has a lot to learn from her. He appears to have come some way to it. Lets hope he keeps it up. We are proud to have New Zealand as our neighbour and friend and have been for a hell of a long time.. Sure they are small but they are smart, successful and have a lot of guts. So does their leader.
That's pretty much exactly the reasoning behind Putin then Thatcher as my choice for best leaders if I had to choose.

I can understand people not liking the manner in which they operate(d) but there is no questioning the effectiveness of their styles of leadership, for different reasons obviously.
Take Putin for example and he does everything you praise Ardern for and more besides.

As you said, I too can accept the reasons others give for their opinions.
It would be a very boring place indeed without such differences.

Jacinda Ardern while as I've said is personable enough etc. etc. etc. is just currently one of the best examples from what is mostly a very poor assortment from which to choose.
That default position is IMHO not enough to make her worthy of being describes as "the best world leader", but to each his own.

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top