Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 01:29 AM

UK Recession 2020

According to the radio news this morning the 2020 recession in the UK was the worst recession for 300 years (gawd knows what happened 300 years ago). It was worse than the GFC and the recessions immediately after the two world wars.

According to this report it came from statistics issued by the UK ONS, I had a look on the ONS site but can't find anything about this.

Does anyone here know anything about the source of this report?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 02:45 AM

Re: UK Recession 2020

Yes but apparently we are doing really well now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Yes but apparently we are doing really well now.
I am sure that is true if things were that bad then the only way is up but what I am interested in is where the report came from.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 08:03 AM

Its like "Spot" the recession round here nowadays.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
According to the radio news this morning the 2020 recession in the UK was the worst recession for 300 years (gawd knows what happened 300 years ago). It was worse than the GFC and the recessions immediately after the two world wars.

According to this report it came from statistics issued by the UK ONS, I had a look on the ONS site but can't find anything about this.

The news is full of this, as you have seen yourself. I had a quick look at the ONS website and there are various indications on there. I am not into sifting through figures but the links below possibly do show where this news came from and it's not good news, that is apparent:

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2021/02/01/m...-the-pandemic/

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/econo...est/2021-01-25

At the end of this web page there is various further information (under each heading in the grey panel after the graphs all showing negatives):

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/natio...omy/2017-02-22
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:17 AM

It really surprises me how so many people are surprised at this result.

So, BoJo closed the country down - twice, (on the first occasion the country nearly starved because of the greed of a few), he has had to borrow trillions of £'s to pay everybody something so they can live, he's turning our society into a bunch of basket cases through isolation.

Now some tosspot in the circumlocution department of the Government has to come up with this load of tosh, (that we already know), just to cheer us up?

Now I know why I'm so depressed!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 10:21 AM

Who would have though that closing down the economy, collecting fewer taxes, paying for equipment, testing and vaccines while handing out large amounts of tax payers money to support those unable to work during a pandemic would have lead to a recession ....

The only 'surprise' to me is the element of 'surprise' in the news readers voice when he announced a recession.

I don't suppose any of the rest of the world who experienced the pandemic will have a recession, it will just be the UK ....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
It really surprises me how so many people are surprised at this result.

So, BoJo closed the country down - twice, (on the first occasion the country nearly starved because of the greed of a few), he has had to borrow trillions of £'s to pay everybody something so they can live, he's turning our society into a bunch of basket cases through isolation.

Now some tosspot in the circumlocution department of the Government has to come up with this load of tosh, (that we already know), just to cheer us up?

Now I know why I'm so depressed!
Originally Posted by Meg ->
Who would have though that closing down the economy, collecting fewer taxes, paying for equipment, testing and vaccines while handing out large amounts of tax payers money to support those unable to work during a pandemic would have lead to a recession ....

The only 'surprise' to me is the element of 'surprise' in the news readers voice when he announced a recession.

I don't suppose any of the rest of the world who experienced the pandemic will have a recession, it will just be the UK ....
Thanks Meg and PooBear, that sums up exactly what I was about say....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 11:44 AM

Coming out of the worst recession in 300 years and the economic growth figures will be strangely absent from the media.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Check the BOE Brucy.
Every body. is in lockdown, what do they expect??

Donkeyman! 🤔🤔

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top