Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2021, 11:42 PM

Cosseted

Were you cosseted at the start, did that give you a leg up?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2021, 11:52 PM

Re: Cosseted

Originally Posted by spitfire ->

At the start of what, Spitty?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2021, 11:54 PM

The Human Race of course.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 12:18 AM

No, I still had two legs the same as others did...
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 01:19 AM

The Human Race of course.

Dunno mate. I've only been a member since 1952. But having said that I wouldn't say cosseted. I grew up like any other Aussie kid in the 50s and 60s. School was hot in the summer and cold in the winter. No aircon then but we did have a fire in each classroom. Lots of sun, surf, sport and rambling in the bush. Learning a lot about animals and how to respect them. Far from being wrapped in cotton wool but we were loved, looked after and had what we needed. We were taught to fight our own battles and stand up for ourselves - NEVER lay down to any scumbag bully was the main message. But we were never able to go back to the big bang of human kind. We could only read and imagine. So..cossetted, no and I'm glad I wasn't.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 09:38 AM

I wasn't around at the start of the human race . But at the start of my time on this earth, no I wasn't ever cosseted.

We were all encouraged to do our best through school (though most of my school reports said 'could do better' ), but we were largely left to our own devices at weekends or school holidays. We'd be out on our bikes roaming through the countryside, catching tiddlers in jam jars, climbing trees, rescuing injured wildlife and trying to nurse them back to health. We'd be missing all day and no-one got in a panic over where we were. There'd be a nice hot meal waiting for us when we finally got home, and a "what have you been doing all day?" conversation.

No helicopter parenting in those days!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 10:27 AM

I was cosseted for the first time when I met my husband and oh what I had missed....
Sadly, fate intervened and it wasn't to last for long, but just enough to last a lifetime .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
No, I still had two legs the same as others did...
My mate Jake had three.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 11:11 AM

I spent my yoof on the street.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2021, 12:36 PM

Repetitive & Boring, I know.

There were not many, during WW2, who were "Cossetted".
Most of the fathers & uncles were called up to fight, for a couple of pounds a week, most mothers working 12 hours a day to feed us.

Some kids came to school with Christmas & Birthday Presents, some had pocket money.

Of course, some found a way of "not going", some men, suddenly, became farm labour (bit like "essential workers"), some Ladies had the wherewithal and did not have to graft as much!

Extremely valuable lessons, though!

We were not cosseted & our descendants will not be cossetted either!

(Boring mode off)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top