Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 09:53 PM

I'm A Celebrity Gardeners?

Are there any gardening enthusiasts that have ever watched I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here?

I was digging up a flower bed today and unearthed an enormous maggoty thing that looked suspiciously like the Witchety grubs they have on IAC - anyone know what it was and what happens when they do whatever these grubs do? (I'm a bit new to gardening so it all looks a bit alien and worrysome!)
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 09:56 PM

Re: I'm A Celebrity Gardeners?

Is it a leather jacket? Crane fly larvae. They're greyish, horrible & eat roots of plants, devils to get rid of. Could be.....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 10:00 PM

No Twiz, it was sort of a creamy yellow colour with a weird reddish, but clear looking, sac and it was squirming, ugh - and it was as thick as a man's thumb! I got it on the trowel and threw it over the garden wall into the lane I just don't know what it was and there may be more, it's put me right off this gardening lark Vile thing.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Most likely it was a stag horn beetle larvae, they like to burrow & chomp their way through old rotten logs & make me retch on the occasions I have encountered one, usually theres a whole bunch of them.
In my area they're a protected species.
Less likely is the larvae of the Devils coachman beetle.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2013, 11:49 PM

Hi Karen it sounds just like a Cockchafer grub *shudders*
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...IqiP0AXgjICoDA

I am terrified of 'May Bugs' /Cockchafer Beetles, they give me nightmares..
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 05:03 AM

When you're a gardener you've got a thousand and one enemies in the insect world.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 07:17 AM

Have you tried the 'Garden Bioblitz 2013' website? very useful for identifying species.

Sorry I cannot link at the moment but the site is worth a visit
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2013, 07:18 AM

Sorry Karen but I've never seen the "I'm a Celebrity" thing so I don't know what a witchety grub is, but the beast that you found could be many things and remember not all grubs are harmful and some can be positively beneficial, so it's a shame you couldn't have photographed it for us..
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-05-2013, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Most likely it was a stag horn beetle larvae, they like to burrow & chomp their way through old rotten logs & make me retch on the occasions I have encountered one, usually theres a whole bunch of them.
In my area they're a protected species.
Less likely is the larvae of the Devils coachman beetle.
Many thanks for replying Robert - it was definitely a grub; I plucked up the courage and googled images so now I know it wasn't a beetle.

On the to the next suggestion and google (gulp )
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

08-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Hi Karen it sounds just like a Cockchafer grub *shudders*
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...IqiP0AXgjICoDA

I am terrified of 'May Bugs' /Cockchafer Beetles, they give me nightmares..
That's the one Meg (if not, it's a very close relative!). I've googled them and there's a way of getting rid of them and I've unwittingly encouraged them these past few years by not keeping the lawn in tip top condition Still, at least now I know how to remedy the problem and at least try to prevent them coming back next year. Many thanks Meg (I would put a smiley face but I'm still feeling queasy after looking at a picture of it ...)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top