Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:29 PM

Re: Another good reason to keep your dog on a lead

Originally Posted by BoxerBoy ->
I find that comment so staggering, and the general tone here so contrary to everything I believe in that I think it best if I depart this conversation.

I shall continue with hundreds of other local owners running my dogs freely on the beach and in our downland as I have done for too many years. Whilst ensuring they behave themselves with respect for other dogs and their owners.

My dogs will continue to enjoy the freedom they are entitled to, should I decide close control is needed at any time, they will walk to heel until released. In situations of concern, they will be on lead for their safety. When was having a dog, any different.

Enjoy yourselves .
Nobody was getting at you personally and I'm sure you are a very responsible dog owner, but I don't believe you have never come across those who are not, they are not uncommon.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
Nobody was getting at you personally and I'm sure you are a very responsible dog owner, but I don't believe you have never come across those who are not, they are not uncommon.

I agree with Clumsy, BoxerBoy, I'm sure nothing was meant as a personal attack at all.
People were just discussing their true experiences.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:45 PM

It's a shame that, as usual, the few spoil it for everyone. That must have been terrifying for you Mups, I've had a couple of frightening times too when I've had to quickly scoop up my two little ones (we still had little Muffin then too) as off lead dogs have come racing towards us and on reaching us jumping up trying to reach the dogs. It really isn't funny is it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 08:48 PM

It's a shame that, as usual, the few spoil it for everyone. That must have been terrifying for you Mups, I've had a couple of frightening times too when I've had to quickly scoop up my two little ones (we still had little Muffin then too) as off lead dogs have come racing towards us and on reaching us jumping up trying to reach the dogs. It really isn't funny is it?
I honk the problem is more of us are having a bad time with other people's off lead dogs than ever before. It will eventually lead to further bans and laws. Sad for those who are responsible but it has to be stopped.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 09:06 PM

Yes, it was terrifying clumsy. Even if she hadn't have been heavily pregnant, she couldn't possibly have fought a powerful dog like that off. I then realised the owner was standing not far away watching, and never even called his dog off. He wasn't a young thug either, he was a middle aged bloke.

It was only when other people started shouting at the bloke he called his dog - but it was in such full swing, it totally ignored him and just kept lunging at Izzy's stomach and throat. I really thought she'd lose her babies.
He also had a very dark brindle Boxer with him, but thankfully the second dog didn't join in, else we would have been sunk.

Someone got the bloke's car number plate, and much to my surprise, the police actually helped me and paid him a visit.
It turned out he was already known to the police.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

18-02-2018, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes, it was terrifying clumsy. Even if she hadn't have been heavily pregnant, she couldn't possibly have fought a powerful dog like that off. I then realised the owner was standing not far away watching, and never even called his dog off. He wasn't a young thug either, he was a middle aged bloke.

It was only when other people started shouting at the bloke he called his dog - but it was in such full swing, it totally ignored him and just kept lunging at Izzy's stomach and throat. I really thought she'd lose her babies.
He also had a very dark brindle Boxer with him, but thankfully the second dog didn't join in, else we would have been sunk.

Someone got the bloke's car number plate, and much to my surprise, the police actually helped me and paid him a visit.
It turned out he was already known to the police.
I'm glad you at least got some help from the Police. I really don't understand these people who let their dogs run riot, causing upset to others and then stand watching.

I must say things have improved vastly here with all the new laws brought in the past few years, and still more on the way.
We don't see very many dogs running loose on the paseos and footpaths any more, it makes walking along the sea front so much nicer. The dogs can greet each other from the safety of their leads and I think both dogs and people feel more relaxed.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I agree with Clumsy, BoxerBoy, I'm sure nothing was meant as a personal attack at all.
People were just discussing their true experiences.
I agree with Clumsy and Mups.

I think it all comes down to responsible dog ownership, and knowing your dog.
I mentioned earlier that we have lots of wild animals in our area. Even if we were in an area where nobody else was around, our boys won't be off leash,be it a short or long one. I know for sure if they saw any kind of animal, be it a rabbit or a moose, they would be off and running after them. They have good recall at home, but outside of our fence, forget it.
I also know if they saw another dog, they would go and check it out, not in an aggressive way. But I know their size is intimidating.
I just wish others would show the same courtesy. They should never put their dog in a situation that they know the dog won't be able to handle.
We have fully fenced-in acreage, so our boys get to run around like crazy hounds here - even after rabbits!

Mups, I feel for you experiencing that traumatic episode with your pregnant girl. You must've been so scared for her.
How was she after it? Any long term effects?
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain

18-02-2018, 11:16 PM

Like you LMB we never let ChoCho off the lead when out. For sure she wouldn't go far from your side at all, but it would only take a second if some loud noise or something else frightened her, she would run in terror, she wouldn't look where, she would just run. I'm not prepared to risk it and she's quite happy and content on her lead, I think she feels safe with her lead on. Same in the car, she really happy and content with her car harness on, but the main thing is that we know she's safe. If she wants to run she races round the garden or through the house, but she's happy enough to wander around the garden or play in the house, she doesn't even like being in the garden if she can't see you.

A couple of months ago here there was a big facebook search for a little dog, a Chinese Crested. The owner was out walking with her on the campo, he was carrying the lead, a motorbike backfired on the road, the dog ran, they couldn't find her anywhere, they searched all night with torches, but couldn't find her. The owner put it on facebook and people from 3 nearby villages were looking for her. they found her two days later sitting shivering in an old dry drainage pipe on the campo. At least it was a happy ending, but he won't be letting her off the lead again.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2018, 11:47 PM

Thank goodness for that happy ending. And glad that it wasn't a heartbreaking lesson for the owner.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

19-02-2018, 01:28 AM

Hi LMB, you hear about people finding super strength in an emergency don't you, and it was true in this case.

When I saw my beautiful, kind, gentle Izzy pinned to the floor squirming like a dying fly, with this wretched dog trying to kill her, I did a strange thing.

The other dog had a leather harness on, it was covered in fancy brass things like a blooming charm bracelet it was.
Anyhow, I was still holding my girl's lead in one hand, but I bent down and picked up the Staffie with my free hand, by the cross section of harness over his back and hoisted him up in the air.
I remember him being face level with me because we looked each other in the eyes and I thought for a split second he was going to have my face.
In that moment I threw him as far as I could.
It was at that point the owner finally grabbed his dog!

A kind lady came and put her arms round me and walked me across the park to the council offices so I could report him. It was only then I started shaking like a leaf. I couldn't even talk properly.

It doesn't make sense does it. How could I - at under 5ft tall - lift and throw a crazed dog like that with one hand??
I would have said it was impossible.
But I can assure you that is exactly what happened.
I must have had divine help or something, because I don't know where my strength came from to this day.

I then asked in the council'spark office if I could make a phone call, and rang my vet to say I was on my way with an emergency, and drove her straight there.

My vet said whether the other dog was muzzled or not, he could have still broke her back the way he had hit her.
Fortunately she calmed down and seemed ok - quiet, but ok.

She was quiet for the rest of the day. She slept with me that night so I could hear if she needed me.

About 12-14 days later, she produced 5 healthy puppies.
The one I kept has never been like my others and despises other dogs.

A behaviourist told me they can feel the fear of the mother across the placenta while still in the womb.
She reckons the same can happen with human babies as well, if their mother is in danger.

I have no idea if this is true, perhaps someone more knowledgeable can tell me.
All I know is, this dog is the same family as my other four, brought up the same way, but has this irrational fear that the others don't. The others are completely different and would play till the cows come home!

Food for thought ey.

Sorry for such a long post, I know how boring they can be to others.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top