Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 03:23 PM

Re: Organic Slug & Snail Repellent

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Perhaps you should pay him a bit more then.
Crikey, besides snacks, it’s lamb, beef or chicken for dinner, fresh water and a full groom every 3 months
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2019, 08:59 PM

Oh Mups, when I was down the allotment today speaking to Lynda we talked about the sheep's wool pellets and she showed me the pack. It states 'for use when children and pets are around', or something similar.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Oh Mups, when I was down the allotment today speaking to Lynda we talked about the sheep's wool pellets and she showed me the pack. It states 'for use when children and pets are around', or something similar.

Thanks for that Jazzi.
I will let you know how I get on when it comes.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 03:08 PM

Rightio, Mups.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-07-2019, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Last night I went and inspected it, and there were THREE of the biggest snails in the world sliding up my plant!!

Just going to nip out there one more time for a last inspection.

What a weird thing to do,..Mups.
It was the "sliding up the plant"..that did it for me,
Make sure you don't run out of battery power .or maybe you
have a "floodlight"....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:44 PM

I had my wool pellets arrive today.
Must read up what to do with them now.
Will let you know whether they work later. Probably after rain would be the best test.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2019, 08:47 PM

Let’s us know how it goes, from a gardening blog that I use...
Last year the RHS conducted research into common household slug deterrent methods. They tested copper rings, wool pellets, egg shells, pine bark mulch and horticultural grit and found that none of them appeared to deter slugs.

Envii, who produce a range of environmentally friendly garden products, replicated the experiment and filmed it, showing how easily slugs and snails overcome these barriers. They also showed that their Feed & Fortify does stop slugs and snails from getting to the crops. Seeing is believing! You can see the video and read more about it in my blog.

Feed & Fortify is an organic slug control method that uses diatomaceous earth to naturally protect plants from slugs, snails and other small pests. It also contains iron silicates to improve soil fertility and maximise plant growth. Available from Envii here.
Edited to add link..

https://preview.mailerlite.com/c9z1a...33794741/e7h5/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2019, 08:52 PM

Hi Rehab.
I mentioned earlier in this thread that I have read good reports and bad about the wool. Some reckon it works, others don't.
It is just an experiment.

At the mo, everywhere is so dry I am getting a reprieve, but if/when the rain comes again, that is when it will be tested best.

I am even toying with the idea of digging these two particular Dahlias up and putting them in tubs instead as they have took such a battering from the slugs and snails.
Do you think it would distrub the roots too much if I dup them up now? Is it too late?
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil

03-07-2019, 09:00 PM

It shouldn’t be too much of a shock to them if you lift them complete with a big rootball around them.Are they in flower?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

03-07-2019, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
It shouldn’t be too much of a shock to them if you lift them complete with a big rootball around them.Are they in flower?

No, they are not in flower yet.
Don't think there is even a bud when I last looked.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top