Join for free
Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 03:38 AM

Re: Who doesn't have the flu jab and why?

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I’m sorry to hear about your friend, Bruce
Thanks, I didn't know he died of flu until it was stated at the funeral - I did know he was taken to hospital a couple of weeks ago in a coma but not the reason. It was very sad.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 09:15 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend.

However the flu vaccination is a complete red herring in this story and it's pretty lame using such unfortunate news as part of a pro vaccine argument. It amounts to emotional blackmail to others.

The facts about the vaccine remain unchanged. It's ineffective, proven so by Cochrane and the Flu Mortality rates are rising year on year despite the vaccine being given to millions of people.

Your friend obviously had a poor immune system which was unable to cope with the onslaught of viruses and complications. I sympathise. Many people die every year from such complications, often they get pneumonia and die from that. It comes down to how well you look after your immune system, whether you put harmful things into your body and what existing illnesses/conditions are already present.

I sympathise, but the facts about the ineffectiveness of the flu vaccine remain.

On the flip side my grandfather is going to be 100 this year and has never had a flu vaccination. He has all his marbles, is totally coherent. He only gave up driving his car this year after pressure from his sons and daughters who worry about him collapsing and causing an accident. He doesn't drink or do drugs and eats healthy food and lives frugally. Makes his own bread too ! Such is life.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 10:22 AM

Realist gives advice about building up our immune system prior to the flu months and I am doing just that as I do get caught with the virus as my daughter is a teacher as I mentioned before she gets infected when the children have the sniff vaccine and it shreds to the whole family its unavoidable for us . I used to have the vaccine but I always got very ill with horrendous sore throats and wiped out for days . So although I hope each year I can avoid it if I get it I am stronger or as strong as I can be .

It's a horrible time isn't it and I understand many choose to be vaccinated and if it works for them or they feel it does then well and good .
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Realist gives advice about building up our immune system prior to the flu months and I am doing just that as I do get caught with the virus as my daughter is a teacher as I mentioned before she gets infected when the children have the sniff vaccine and it shreds to the whole family its unavoidable for us . I used to have the vaccine but I always got very ill with horrendous sore throats and wiped out for days . So although I hope each year I can avoid it if I get it I am stronger or as strong as I can be .

It's a horrible time isn't it and I understand many choose to be vaccinated and if it works for them or they feel it does then well and good .
Good post Susan and thank you for your last paragraph, I appreciate that.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
I understand many choose to be vaccinated and if it works for them or they feel it does then well and good .

Interesting statement but in reality how on earth can anyone determine if the vaccine has worked for them?

The notion is absurd.

There are not many possibilities TBH:

1. I had the vaccine this year, I didn't get the Flu

2. I had the vaccine this year, I got the Flu

3. I didn't have the vaccine this year, I didn't get the Flu

4. I didn't have the vaccine this year, I got the Flu

In either case you can't draw any meaningful conclusion.

You can't determine if the vaccine works from any single person's case. You can only do it through a systematic review of 100s or 1000s of studies involving a great many people.

This is an important aspect that people need to get their head round. The truth can never come from annecdotal evidence. Only from systematic reviews.

It's a bit like saying,

I played the lottery this week, and didn't win therefore lotteries simply don't work and lose you money or . . . .

I played the lottery this week and did win, therefore lotteries do work and are great

Either way the conclusions are wrong.

A systematic analysis of all lottery players, the amounts spent and the amounts paid out tell you that lotteries are a nonsense, as are Premium Bonds.

Flu vaccines are hugely ineffective, simple as. Proven through systematic review of 100s of studies involving a great many people.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 09:05 PM

I get it now Realist, whatever anyone says, you always know better (or think you do) and you are always Mr Right.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I get it now Realist, whatever anyone says, you always know better (or think you do) and you are always Mr Right.

I'm of the opinion that some people are basically more prone to catching colds and the flu than others. Simple as that, there's no scientific formulae to it. It just happens.

As I mentioned earlier, I had the flu jab once and got the most horrendous bout of flu I'd ever had that year. But then, that may have just been a coincidence - I may have got it anyway.
Purple lizard
Somerset
Purple lizard is female 

15-08-2019, 10:29 PM

I've had flu four times over the years.
I was intending to have the jab, but on speaking to a nurse at the hospital recently, he said I'd be better off not having it.
He said I probably had a good resistance anyway by now and there was no evidence that the flu jab worked anyway.
I may change my mind when I'm offered it for free mind !!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

15-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Yes, it's up to the individual if they have the jab or not, their decision and they shouldn't be criticised because they decide to.

To call people 'stupid' for having the jab is utterly insulting.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2019, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There are not many possibilities TBH:

1. I had the vaccine this year, I didn't get the Flu

2. I had the vaccine this year, I got the Flu

3. I didn't have the vaccine this year, I didn't get the Flu

4. I didn't have the vaccine this year, I got the Flu

In either case you can't draw any meaningful conclusion.

You can't determine if the vaccine works from any single person's case. You can only do it through a systematic review of 100s or 1000s of studies involving a great many people.

1. He wore a condom this time, I didn't get pregnant

2. He wore a condom this time, I got pregnant

3. He didn't wear a condom this time, I didn't get pregnant

4. He didn't wear a condom this time, I got pregnant

Therefore condoms are useless? Condoms sometimes work and sometimes they don't. Does this mean everyone should stop using condoms and take their chances? After all it's not like you always get pregnant when having sex. Plus some people are less fertile than others so wearing a condom for them is a waste of time.

Page 17 of 20 « First < 7 15 16 17 18 19 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top