Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 02:45 PM

Re: Fibromyalgia

I think after much research that there are 3 terms used some get mixed up with ,even doctors .
CFS seemed to affect a younger generation than us .Mainly as the name suggested about left over fatigue from flu . ..hence the name “ yuppie flu”
Much was said about it being all in the mind .

Then we were aware that a new to us name Fibromyalgia [ this actually is a new name for what used to be called Fibrositis , inflammation of muscles ] kept popping up as a diagnosis of much bodily pain in certain areas of the body as well as what’s commonly described as “ brain fog” and extreme fatigue .This seemed to affect people older than those diagnosed as suffering CFS .

Now generally suspected by the medical profession affecting those over fifty ,certainly those attacked by severe pain in their sixties and seventies is Polymyalgia Rheumatica , at once requiring treatment via cortiscosteroids as well as confirmation from a blood test .
Apparently relief from all over the body pain is felt after a few days .

So why are these not given for Fibromyalgia ?
The answer appears to be these steroids (such as prednisone) used to treat inflammation associated with other rheumatic conditions have been tested in people with fibromyalgia and did not appear to improve symptoms.
Causes of the two conditions are different:

Polymyalgia is considered to be an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disorders cause the body to attack healthy tissue by mistake.
Fibromyalgia pain is thought to be caused by overactive nerves that make the body perceive pain despite there being no physical injury.
This means that fibromyalgia may occur because of the way that the brain and nerves perceive sensation, while polymyalgia develops due to a problem with the immune system.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2019, 07:00 PM

This is interesting news published in March this year . Up to now there hasn’t been any testing available to positively diagnose Fibromyalgia but this looks positive .https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324735.php
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->

Now generally suspected by the medical profession affecting those over fifty ,certainly those attacked by severe pain in their sixties and seventies is Polymyalgia Rheumatica , at once requiring treatment via cortiscosteroids as well as confirmation from a blood test .
I suffer from Polymyalgia Rheumatica and while I'm certainly in the older age group there are surprisingly a lot of young people with it.

I am in a support group for this disease and the youngest member is only 35 years old. There are a lot in the 40 - 50 age group too.

I don't know where this information about it only striking older people comes from. I believed it until I joined the support group.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-08-2019, 12:58 PM

Carol , the information has come from vast studies of patients presenting their symptoms .
It’s generally accepted that PR is suspected by GP’s regarding those in their 70’s than their 40’s and 50’s .
I believe after reading this article that there are many cases of misdiagnosis in younger than what is classed as elderly . https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5644293/
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-08-2019, 02:51 PM

I think after much research that there are 3 terms used some get mixed up with ,even doctors .
CFS seemed to affect a younger generation than us .Mainly as the name suggested about left over fatigue from flu . ..hence the name “ yuppie flu”
Much was said about it being all in the mind .

Then we were aware that a new to us name Fibromyalgia [ this actually is a new name for what used to be called Fibrositis , inflammation of muscles ] kept popping up as a diagnosis of much bodily pain in certain areas of the body as well as what’s commonly described as “ brain fog” and extreme fatigue .This seemed to affect people older than those diagnosed as suffering CFS .

Apparently relief from all over the body pain is felt after a few days .

So why are these not given for Fibromyalgia ?
The answer appears to be these steroids (such as prednisone) used to treat inflammation associated with other rheumatic conditions have been tested in people with fibromyalgia and did not appear to improve symptoms.
Causes of the two conditions are different:

Polymyalgia is considered to be an autoimmune disease. Autoimmune disorders cause the body to attack healthy tissue by mistake.
Fibromyalgia pain is thought to be caused by overactive nerves that make the body perceive pain despite there being no physical injury.
This means that fibromyalgia may occur because of the way that the brain and nerves perceive sensation, while polymyalgia develops due to a problem with the immune system.
This is interesting news published in March this year . Up to now there hasn’t been any testing available to positively diagnose Fibromyalgia but this looks positive .https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324735.php
Excellent research Zuleika.
Most impressive.
Molly
New Member!
England
Molly is female 

29-08-2019, 07:59 AM

There are pain management clinic,your G.P. has to refer a patient to, They help a person cope with intense pain.
NJO91
New Member!
United States
NJO91 is female 

29-08-2019, 11:44 PM

I used to suffer with Fibromyalgia, but with a diet low in inflammatory foods, elimination of all dairy, and the addition of Juice Plus+ Fruit, Berry & Vegetable Blends, it is all but gone.
I still get the occasional fatigue if the weather does a fast turn, but the aches and pains are almost entirely gone!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top