Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 01:44 PM

Long Lost Love

Oh Dear! I was just sitting here having a cuppa before going out, I thinking back to my Fortieth Birthday (30 years ago!)

When I was fifteen, I was madly in love with a fifteen-year- old Junior Leader (trainee future NCO's and Army Officers) who was stationed at the local Army base.

He was the most handsome boy, fancied by every other girl, but he was mine for the whole 2.1/2 years he was stationed here.

You know what it was like at that age. My parents liked him, even my six brothers gave him the seal of approval. But, as much as we swore our undying love for each other when he was finally leaving, once he had actually left, the letters got less and less, and life moved on.

I often used to think of him throughout the years, especially when commuting,
Our initials were carved on the wall in the old waiting room at our little local railway station, (still there today, even though the waiting room has been locked up for years), also on the huge oak tree in our local park, the heart and initials are still visible, (just).

He was after all, my first true love. I would think of his sense of humour, his gorgeous blonde hair, his handsome face and wonder what if......

Anyhow, I was running a pub with He Who Must Obey and it was my fortieth Birthday. We were having a party after closing time. Just before closing, an ex-Junior Leader who was a pal of my young love all those years ago and had married and settled here, walked up to the bar with his wife, smiled, and said Hi, "Guess who is with us? he's just parking the car". Yep, my long-ago first love!! OMG! after all these years, we were finally going to see each other again.

I quickly excused myself and raced to the ladies to put fresh lipstick on and fluff up my hair. I looked in the mirror and thought.. "You'll do, eat your heart out because I belong to someone else", and returned to the bar, convinced he would not have changed, would be as handsome as I remembered him, that we would look into each other's eyes and remember.

Well, they say Disappointment comes in a huge dollop!
When I saw him I had to stop myself from standing there with my mouth open. This weedy, skinny fella walked in with his wife (who looked like an ex Goth). He still had blonde hair, but it was longer than mine! right down his back. I don't mean to be unkind, but he looked like someone I wouldn't give a second glance if having to choose someone.

I didn't even care what he thought when he saw me, I was so bitterly disappointed, my vision of lost love completely destroyed, never again to dream about on the odd occasion, no more poignant thoughts of our hearts and initials. All ruined forever.

All I could manage to mutter was "Hi, how are you", serve them their drinks, pretend to be busy and escape as quickly as I could upstairs so I wouldn't have to see him again.

I do wish people wouldn't destroy one's dreams like that.
I wish I could have kept him in a box and never ever seen him again. It was so unfair.

Have you ever been totally disappointed (or happy even) at meeting up again with a long lost love from the past?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 02:03 PM

Re: Long Lost Love

I was never interested in relationships, and would probably be single if I hadn't met at the age of 15 the man I married four years later. He fascinated me as he was so very different to the other boys I had come across.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 02:10 PM

SG, It’s usually at funerals that this happens to me. This is when l see ex boyfriends and they look entirely different to what l remember. It’s like they’ve had a whole head transplant as they are unrecognisable!

There was one who was a real ‘jack the lad’, ‘leader of the gang’ type that l went out with. He wore shoes that clip clopped along when he walked with his ‘tough guy’ swagger.
On our first date, he wore a beautiful light coloured suit that complimented his male model type figure.
He moaned all night, as he would’ve preferred to wear jeans and a T-shirt. He said, he wore the suit to impress me. He wasn’t so impressed when a scuffle broke out, l got pushed and my Cherry B landed all down the front of his jacket!
He thought it was blood from the fight that was going on behind us. All l remember him saying was, ‘Me whistle and flute, it’s ruined, it’s got blood all down it’!

Anyway, we went out a few times but drifted apart. I never stayed long with anyone for long, l got bored easily!

Anyway, back to the funeral. One of his friends from the old days had died. At the funeral, l said to another of his friends there, ‘Is Neil here?’
He said, ‘Yes, over there’! I looked and l said, ‘He’s not’!
He pointed over to a little dumpy, bald headed man.
‘No, you’re joking’, l said, in disbelief! He wasn’t joking.

I went over to chat and he was really pleased to see me after all the years. My great memories of him were shattered, or maybe when you’re young, you see them differently with rose tinted spectacles?
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Now that you mention the subject it has just struck me that I have never given any of my ex's a second thought over the years. I can remember their names and some of the faces but I have never pined (if that's the right word) for any of them. I wouldn't recognise them now either I suppose, not after all this time.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 02:28 PM

Not a long lost love but I did meet one of the twins I was at school with and was absolutely amazed at how old she looked. Could have walked past her and not realised it, but she recognised me. When we were at school we both favoured loud colours and flamboyant clothing she said she recognised me from my purple skirt, turquoise fringed top and lace collar, I didn't recognise her but her dull brown suit was so unlike anything she would have chosen back then I think I could be forgiven.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 03:39 PM

My long lost love got in touch with me via his sister. We phoned each other, exchanged recent photo's, as we are both old now. Then one day he sent me a letter saying out of the blue he was getting married again. I never heard from him again, his phone cut off & his sister isn't answering me either. Guess I'll never know what happened to him.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:08 PM

I'm friendly with my long lost love - strictly platonic of course.

He plays in a jazz band & I went to see them once. Mostly our conversation is via text/email.

He's aged well - as he thinks I have.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:14 PM

I recently saw saw someone from my much younger days. I thought she still looked good.
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 04:23 PM

I stumbled across "the one that got away" on one of my Facebook friend's posts, I had a quick look at him on his profile page and he's turned into his Dad

Phew, lucky escape!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-08-2019, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
SG, It’s usually at funerals that this happens to me. This is when l see ex boyfriends and they look entirely different to what l remember. It’s like they’ve had a whole head transplant as they are unrecognisable!

There was one who was a real ‘jack the lad’, ‘leader of the gang’ type that l went out with. He wore shoes that clip clopped along when he walked with his ‘tough guy’ swagger.
On our first date, he wore a beautiful light coloured suit that complimented his male model type figure.
He moaned all night, as he would’ve preferred to wear jeans and a T-shirt. He said, he wore the suit to impress me. He wasn’t so impressed when a scuffle broke out, l got pushed and my Cherry B landed all down the front of his jacket!
He thought it was blood from the fight that was going on behind us. All l remember him saying was, ‘Me whistle and flute, it’s ruined, it’s got blood all down it’!

Anyway, we went out a few times but drifted apart. I never stayed long with anyone for long, l got bored easily!

Anyway, back to the funeral. One of his friends from the old days had died. At the funeral, l said to another of his friends there, ‘Is Neil here?’
He said, ‘Yes, over there’! I looked and l said, ‘He’s not’!
He pointed over to a little dumpy, bald headed man.
‘No, you’re joking’, l said, in disbelief! He wasn’t joking.

I went over to chat and he was really pleased to see me after all the years. My great memories of him were shattered, or maybe when you’re young, you see them differently with rose tinted spectacles?
It's such a shock isn't it Art. Of course, we tend to forget what they think of us when they see us for the first time in years. I like to think I have worn well. Good Irish genes. I only have to look at my beautiful granddaughters and nieces and I see myself 55 years ago, Sigh.

I'm sure in both of our cases, they were still really nice men. I just wish mine had worn a bag over his head so I could have kept my daydreams alive.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top