Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 04:50 PM

Pet Bereavement

Having a day off work, is it reasonable or not after losing a pet.

https://metro.co.uk/2019/08/21/getti...oman-10607030/

It can be just as devastating as losing a friend or relative for some, maybe worse if it is unexpected.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:31 PM

Re: Pet Bereavement

I think it doesn't matter if it is a pet or a person, surely you get time off work because you are grieving.

Many people feel more love for their pets than they do for some relatives, so I would think that most employers would prefer them to take a couple of days off to come to terms with their loss.

Would any decent employer want a member of staff to work when they are so upset that they make other staff feel sad, sound like they are crying when on the phone. or are unable to do their job as efficiently as normal?

The only time it would be wrong is if somebody was lying about their pet, so they could go shopping with a friend.
Many years ago I knew a girl who did that!
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:35 PM

Yes I do agree, I know how awful I felt after losing my two Old English Sheepies within ten months of it other. I was lucky in the fact I was off work at the time Pash went and I had time to myself, I'd have been useless at work, I know I wouldn't have been able to keep it together.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:35 PM

I have been reading about this in another paper, Cinders.

While I certainly know grief can be overwhelming - been there - time off work could could also be abused too.
What about people who have lots of animals? Where would an employer draw the line?
I find I cannot answer a sure Yes, or No to this.

Grief, whether it be for a human or animal is handled very differently by each one of us.
Some people would actually prefer being with others and keeping their mind occupied, rather than return to an empty house, while others can't function at all and might not even be safe driving to work.

I remember once I had to cancel an interview because I had just 'lost' my beloved dog the night before. I was in pieces.
I knew I wouldn't have been able to think straight and answer questions to impress at an interview.
Another time I had to phone in sick.

I have had many losses over the years, and I find it never, ever gets any easier or less painful.
I usually tend to shut myself away, as well-meaning friends always start talking about it, trying to say the right things, but I can't handle that.

A cuddle, without any words, is what I would probably choose.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I have been reading about this in another paper, Cinders.

While I certainly know grief can be overwhelming - been there - time off work could could also be abused too.
What about people who have lots of animals? Where would an employer draw the line?
I find I cannot answer a sure Yes, or No to this.

Grief, whether it be for a human or animal is handled very differently by each one of us.
Some people would actually prefer being with others and keeping their mind occupied, rather than return to an empty house, while others can't function at all and might not even be safe driving to work.

I remember once I had to cancel an interview because I had just 'lost' my beloved dog the night before. I was in pieces.
I knew I wouldn't have been able to think straight and answer questions to impress at an interview.
Another time I had to phone in sick.

I have had many losses over the years, and I find it never, ever gets any easier or less painful.
I usually tend to shut myself away, as well-meaning friends always start talking about it, trying to say the right things, but I can't handle that.

A cuddle, without any words, is what I would probably choose.
Excellent post, Mups.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 07:17 PM

Think the lady interviewed is missing the points made on here.

‘It’s a pet at the end of the day, it’s not a person. And I didn’t need time off to arrange a funeral and hymns, and a eulogy for my pet, so what are they doing on their day off?'
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:14 PM

I had to go to work on a number of occasions having lost a pet.
I found it really hard with the last two dogs Millie and Amy because they went to work with me and everyone wanted to know where they were

At work or at home the loss was just as great, my best friend had gone forever.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:16 PM

Most employers couldn't give a stuff about bereavement, unless it affects them of course.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:34 PM

We have a great little dog now. HIs name is Tex. But we lost our last dog Toby 10 months ago this week. We had him for twelve and a half years and he was one very special dude. We are still grieving for him. I think we all took time off from everything when we lost him.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
We have a great little dog now. HIs name is Tex. But we lost our last dog Toby 10 months ago this week. We had him for twelve and a half years and he was one very special dude. We are still grieving for him. I think we all took time off from everything when we lost him.
It takes a long time Keezoy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top