Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 11:26 AM

Re: Breast screening

Originally Posted by susan m ->
OMG the pain is indescribable isn't it . But thank goodness for it , but I hope in the future a new design appears

The future won't involve Mammography in its current form at all Susan I'm pretty sure of that.

Mammography has been shown to harm women more than it prevents deaths from breast cancer. It's been discussed at length on the forum and if you are interested you can read the whole scoop here:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=53711

In 2017 the Swiss Medical Board published a report recommending that no new systematic mammography screening programs be introduced.

In Canada a dedicated task force looking into Mammography found that for every 1,000 women aged 40 to 49 screened over a seven-year period, there were 294 false-positives, resulting in 43 unnecessary biopsies; even in the age 70-74 group, there were 219 false positives and 30 biopsies per 1,000 women screened.

The Cochrane Report into Mammography highlighted that:

"for every 2000 women invited for screening throughout 10 years, one will avoid dying of breast cancer and 10 healthy women, who would not have been diagnosed if there had not been screening, will be treated unnecessarily.

Furthermore, more than 200 women will experience important psychological distress including anxiety and uncertainty for years because of false positive findings."

This is not the place to discuss the merits of Mammography in any detail so I will leave you to follow the related threads and do your own resaearch should you wish to.

What we can be sure of however is that Mammography in its current form is on its way out and should have been abolished years ago due to it's ineffectiveness and harms to women. There are already less intrusive and no pain alternatives such as Thermography so if you don't like Mammograms then look into that.

Cheers
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:09 PM

On No! Here we go again . . .

Realist, why do you have to continually repeat yourself like an old stuck record?

Everyone knows what your 'Expert' opinion is on this subject as you have made it very plain on numerous occasions. Same old, same old . .
For just one example:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...ograms&page=15

I assume you haven't got boobs, and never had a mammogram in your life, so what authority have you to write with any personal knowledge, or suggest women shouldn't have them?

Why do you find it impossible to let us decide for ourselves?
When you you realise it is not your 'duty' to lecture us?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
On No! Here we go again . . .

Realist, why do you have to continually repeat yourself like an old stuck record?

Everyone knows what your 'Expert' opinion is on this subject as you have made it very plain on numerous occasions. Same old, same old . .
For just one example:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...ograms&page=15

I assume you haven't got boobs, and never had a mammogram in your life, so what authority have you to write with any personal knowledge, or suggest women shouldn't have them?

Why do you find it impossible to let us decide for ourselves?
When you you realise it is not your 'duty' to lecture us?
Well said I for one would not be here if I hadn't had my mammograms, my first lump was found by the screening, my second I found myself but the first one was too deep for me ever to find myself they said.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well said I for one would not be here if I hadn't had my mammograms, my first lump was found by the screening, my second I found myself but the first one was too deep for me ever to find myself they said.

Thank you Julie. So glad your problems were found in time, too.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 02:33 PM

We can all Google stuff and if we look hard enough we can find evidence to support our theories. Personally although I have never experienced one (obviously) I'm sure lots of lives have been saved for a few moments discomfort.

Tara, why not ring in advance and tell them about your shoulder and see what they say.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
The future won't involve Mammography in its current form at all Susan I'm pretty sure of that.

Mammography has been shown to harm women more than it prevents deaths from breast cancer. It's been discussed at length on the forum and if you are interested you can read the whole scoop here:

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=53711

In 2017 the Swiss Medical Board published a report recommending that no new systematic mammography screening programs be introduced.

In Canada a dedicated task force looking into Mammography found that for every 1,000 women aged 40 to 49 screened over a seven-year period, there were 294 false-positives, resulting in 43 unnecessary biopsies; even in the age 70-74 group, there were 219 false positives and 30 biopsies per 1,000 women screened.

The Cochrane Report into Mammography highlighted that:

"for every 2000 women invited for screening throughout 10 years, one will avoid dying of breast cancer and 10 healthy women, who would not have been diagnosed if there had not been screening, will be treated unnecessarily.

Furthermore, more than 200 women will experience important psychological distress including anxiety and uncertainty for years because of false positive findings."

This is not the place to discuss the merits of Mammography in any detail so I will leave you to follow the related threads and do your own resaearch should you wish to.

What we can be sure of however is that Mammography in its current form is on its way out and should have been abolished years ago due to it's ineffectiveness and harms to women. There are already less intrusive and no pain alternatives such as Thermography so if you don't like Mammograms then look into that.

Cheers
YAWN, when we want your advice on health matters we will be sure to ask you, until then please don't bother, you are no expert, that is obvious from your posts!
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
We can all Google stuff and if we look hard enough we can find evidence to support our theories. Personally although I have never experienced one (obviously) I'm sure lots of lives have been saved for a few moments discomfort.

Tara, why not ring in advance and tell them about your shoulder and see what they say.
You obviously didn't see my third post on this topic. I phoned the clinic, and they cancelled my appointment saying that if my arm gets fully mobile again I can book another appointment in the next 12 months.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top