Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 11:29 AM

is the EU beginning to fall apart?

WE are leaving- Italy is deep in debt- Germany is also in trouble as well- Greece well that is a hopeless case with low employment and finance- other EU countries are wobbling yet France is saying everything is ok,to their own ends who only look inwards anyway. The USA and China are in dispute pulling down the world economy which is affecting the EU financial markets.

So is this the beginning of the end of the grand EU plan for a united Europe???? Looks like it
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 11:35 AM

Re: is the EU beginning to fall apart?

I would think there is a very fine line at the moment. It was of course forecast by Alan Greenspan that another worldwide recession was on the way... possibly towards the end of 2019.
If that is the case, then I'm not sure that things will be any easier than the last, and could easily see Europe fall into a big mess.
Spain, Italy, Portugal and Greece, won't have much going for them, and considering Germany seems to hold all the cards along with it's neighbour , I don't see them being any more able to prevent a massive disaster..... and they know it !
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 11:47 AM

Well, I personally don't like the thought of any individual EU member state go into recession. I well remember when it happened to us, and it was dreadful. I also think it would be naive of anyone to assume that should there be a recession in Europe, the UK would be immune, even though we would be out of there.

Once again, it comes down to politicians being prepared to lie to their citizens rather than being honest and warming them of impending doom to their economies, and letting them prepare for recession. They really do take the people for fools, when in fact we are the first to know when it is (as HWMO often says) going tits up! Yet politicians continue to lie, in the hope that it won't be as bad as it invariably always is.

Maybe that head of the Remain biased Channel 4 Head of News has something when she says newscasters and commentators should have the right to call a politician a Liar if found wanting.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 12:18 PM

I'm no fan of the EU but I do love the countries in it so I truly hope this isn't the case because they don't deserve it and will take many others with them if they do fall apart. None of us will be safe from the fall out IMO
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Of course the EU will fall apart though what if anything is salvaged is unclear but whatever it is it'll need to be a very different animal. France and German banks will get a haircut which is well deserved.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 12:56 PM

Already the stock markets are plummeting and people are investing in bonds and gold again.

That's nothing to do with Brexit.. for once !
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 03:03 PM

Gold is always going to be a sound long term investment, bonds not, nor shares.

FWIW I can see pure gold hitting £1350 / oz by the end of the year and if things turn really pear shape £1500 or higher.

As for the Euro, I'd be dumping it faster than dysentery if I had more than a few € as silly money for odds and sods when we nip across to France.
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 08:01 PM

Great empires from the past have all fallen, The Roman, Ottoman, German, French, British. Now I think the EU empire is standing on the cliff edge.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Never noticed the last recession, lets hope this one is a none event.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2019, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by big ben ->
Great empires from the past have all fallen, The Roman, Ottoman, German, French, British. Now I think the EU empire is standing on the cliff edge.
Amen to that Ben.....

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top