Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 06:03 PM

Re: Vitamins for general health

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Ask you doctor to arrange a blood test, to see how low you are. If you are as low as 12.5 ng/mL then you should ask for a prescription to correct it. The prescribed meds work much better than the over the counter ones. Then go back for another test, after the course, to see how much difference it has made.
If i had known this 8 years ago I wouldn't have suffered so much pain from my deficiency..... all because the NHS were trying to save money on prescriptions!

I had blood tests about 3 weeks ago Twink and am now on 20000 IU Fultium D3 - one per day. After 15 days I am told to go down to 10000 IU as a maintenance dose. Further checks in 6 months. Hopefully it will help, although I know I also have osteoarthritis which has plagued me for quite a few years. I must be wearing out
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I had blood tests about 3 weeks ago Twink and am now on 20000 IU Fultium D3 - one per day. After 15 days I am told to go down to 10000 IU as a maintenance dose. Further checks in 6 months. Hopefully it will help, although I know I also have osteoarthritis which has plagued me for quite a few years. I must be wearing out
Aerolor, it is normal for a doctor to start you on a high dose & when they check in 6 months they will know if they have managed to get your levels balanced. Taking a similar pill for 3 months solved my problem, but they say if I notice anything gets worse I can just have another test.
I hope it all goes well & make sure your calcium levels remain good, as that helps with your osteoarthritis.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2019, 08:35 PM

Also foods to eat rich in Vit D if you have low levels are fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon
Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soyamilk, and cereals
Beef liver
Cheese
Egg yolks
oh and mushrooms
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 10:51 AM

Thank you Twink and Lionqueen. I've never felt the need to take vitamins before, but I'll do as the doc tells me. It just seems such a large dose - much larger than the tabs. you see in the healthfood shops.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-06-2019, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Thank you Twink and Lionqueen. I've never felt the need to take vitamins before, but I'll do as the doc tells me. It just seems such a large dose - much larger than the tabs. you see in the healthfood shops.
Yes it does although if that’s what your GP has prescribed ....?
You might want to read
https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-die...-need-to-know/ .
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

21-06-2019, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Yes it does although if that’s what your GP has prescribed ....?
You might want to read
https://www.nhs.uk/news/food-and-die...-need-to-know/ .

Thanks for the link. I was surprised at the dosage too Zuleika and you can't get this amount in a single pill over the counter. I can buy it over the counter when I reduce the amount after 15 days. I got my results from the doctor via a phone conversation and I didn't think to ask how deficient in vit.D I am. I was more interested in some other things my blood test showed up.
Teeps
New Member!
Brigg Lincolnshire
Teeps is female 

06-08-2019, 12:43 PM

I used to take a multi vitamin and mineral tablet every day but I discovered I had high levels of ferritin (iron) and was told to stop taking them. I now take one a week and take a multi B complex a day and one calcium and vit D as i eat very little dairy
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

06-08-2019, 05:04 PM

I took the prescribed dose of vit.d for the 15 days and was surprised at what a difference it has made. My aches and pains have reduced considerably and I feel a lot better. I will probably keep on the maintenance dose indefinitely now. Surprising how quickly it made such a difference.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 05:14 PM

I never take any .
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2019, 05:16 PM

Vitamin D and C because I don't get enough sun or eat enough vit' C fruit or veg.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top