Join for free
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 08:19 AM

The Silence

I have just caught up with this remarkable four part TV series (from 2010) on DVD.

The stars are Dervla Kirwan, Douglas Henshall, Hugh Bonneville, Gina McKee and Genevieve Barr.

In brief - it is about a deaf teenager, Amelia, who is learning to cope with a cochlea implant - and staying with relatives in Bristol while attending speech therapy sessions.

One night she volunteers to walk their dog - it runs away into a small woodland - while searching for it Amelia witnesses a brutal murder and is not certain whether or not the murderers have seen her.

The consequences for both her relatives in Bristol and her own family are drastic and scary - but I cannot say too much without spoiling it for others.

Plot Well thought out/well written. The right amount of undercurrents and twists to build the tension without losing credibility along the way.

Acting Dervla Kirwan is a superb actress and this showed her at her best. Hugh Bonneville - with a Scottish accent - was excellent!. Gina McKee and Douglas Henshall are always good - but the crown has to go to Genevieve Barr!

I had not seen or heard of her before - but will certainly look out for her again. She was born deaf but has not let it handicap her in any way. As well as being an actress she is also a qualified teacher.

Her portrayal of rebellious teenager, Amelia, was incredible. The cochlea implant was her mother's idea and Amelia resents it. She describes it as an intrusion of 'dirty stuff into her brain' and frequently takes off the external 'processor' to become deaf again. How she deals with the consequences of being a witness is compelling.

You might guess - I enjoyed this!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 08:21 AM

Re: The Silence

I have not heard of that Tabs but four great actors (actors & actresses) there. so it has to be good.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2019, 08:28 AM

Re: The Silence

Oh, one that must have missed me by too! Sounds a good storyline.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top