Join for free
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:35 AM

What Exactly Is ‘Baiting’ On Forums?

Now and again in threads on forums, l see the word ‘baiting’ come up.
What exactly is ‘baiting’. Is it like deliberately setting a trap to catch someone out?

How do you do it and why is it done?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:40 AM

Re: What Exactly Is ‘Baiting’ On Forums?

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Now and again in threads on forums, the word ‘baiting’ comes up.
What exactly is ‘baiting’. Is it like setting a trap to catch someone out?

How do you do it and why is it done?
Not to catch someone out per se, more like to post something knowing that it will infuriate some and trigger a response. A typical WUM trick.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
Not to catch someone out per se, more like to post something knowing that it will infuriate some and trigger a response. A typical WUM trick.

So it’s not that someone is just delving deeper into the subject that is being discussed?
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:45 AM

I say exactly what I think about a topic, my intention is not to wind people up, but if they take my thoughts amiss, that is their privilege .
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
So it’s not that someone is just delving deeper into the subject that is being discussed?
No, I don't think so but others will shortly chip in with their definitions no doubt.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:50 AM

Think of baiting as "lighting the touchpaper" and then backing off to watch the ensuing fireworks. It happens on every forum, sometimes quite often - gaming forums are always seeng threads erupt because of baiting.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2019, 11:51 AM

Surely, it’s the way the poster reacts to the ‘bait’ that inflames the situation?
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-08-2019, 11:52 AM

Look in the Politics Threads there's a lot of Baiting goes on there, certain members like to call certain groups out. I find it's best to ignore them as most of the time they really have no idea of what's actually going on elsewhere. Having said that though, it can be very hard to keep stum at times.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2019, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I say exactly what I think about a topic, my intention is not to wind people up, but if they take my thoughts amiss, that is their privilege .
Tara, That’s fine as everyone now knows your style of posting.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

21-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tachyon ->
Think of baiting as "lighting the touchpaper" and then backing off to watch the ensuing fireworks. It happens on every forum, sometimes quite often - gaming forums are always seeng threads erupt because of baiting.
So Tachyon, you are saying, it is a deliberate act to inflame and cause mayhem? Why would anyone be so malicious to that on a friendly gaming forum?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top