Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:17 AM

A bad year for the Royals

The undernoted is an article from one of the tabloids yesterday:-

Prince Andrew, never hugely adored by the public, could be a source of grave embarrassment to them.

The public is also tiring of Harry and Meghan’s relentless political preaching, whining and hypocrisy. The private jets to climate change summits. The gobsmackingly expensive renovations to their house with wallpaper made of organic kale and goji berries, or something.
It was reported this week that the Royal Family’s bill for travel and security has almost doubled since 2016. Much of that is probably Meghan.

But I think people are also weary of William seemingly talking about depression every time he opens his mouth. Hell, you’re depressed, Wills? Howja think the rest of us feel?

I’ve always been marginally in favour of having a royal family. But that’s contingent upon who that royal family actually is. And how they behave.

The Queen and Prince Phil (when he’s not smashing a car up) have been models of decency and duty. They keep a certain distance from the public and that is perhaps why they are so adored.

To her immense credit, Princess Anne has followed that blueprint. She doesn’t emote for the media and lecture us.

My worry is that the newer generation of royals will turn the British public against the Windsors. In Andrew’s case, befriending a scumbag has brought disgrace upon him and the family firm.

With Harry and Meghan and William, it’s a case of trying to be too modern and thus losing sight of what it means to be a member of the Royal Family.

Keep on this track and we won’t have a royal family for very much longer.

The last sentence is wishful thinking on my part. What are your views?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:33 AM

Re: A bad year for the Royals

I agree with most of that, Last Tango. I have great respect for your Queen and for Princess Ann. William could be good - if he ever stopped whining. No time at all for Philip - hardly a paragon of virtue - and the rest of them are just leeches.
MargaretF
Northamptonshire, UK
MargaretF is female  MargaretF has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:39 AM

I also agree with what is written here Last Tango. I feel that once the Queen dies the royal family will become surplus to requirements due to the behaviour of the younger members and their thirst for popularity. The only member of the royal family I respect, beside the Queen, is Princess Anne - I think she has done much behind the scenes for riding for the disabled and probably many other causes. She doesn't court publicity, in fact she seems to try her best to avoid it wherever possible.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:45 AM

The majority of people I have spoken to agree that after the Queen has passed on, it should be time to drop the Royal family. No one really likes our future King Charles and Wills and Harry who started off OK have lost it big time. As for Andrew.....
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:53 AM

Is the Queen ever likely to pass on in the near future ?
As her Mum lived until 102 she may well outlive Charles who could never have imagined he would wait so long to be King .
He has lived to move into an era where kings and Queens are no longer needed even for ceremonial purposes .
I don’t think it has anything to do with the behaviour of the younger generation of royals .
Royals have always behaved badly .
It’s just they get found out easier now.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:56 AM

The royals may be an anachronism but they are infinitely preferable to something like trump!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 09:59 AM

The American people voted him in to do a job .
He’s doing it .
They can always get rid of him if they like
We didn’t vote the RF in .
They only have ceremonial job
We didn’t vote for them .
Last Tango
North Ayrshire, Scotland
Last Tango is female  Last Tango has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He’s doing it .
Exactly, Muddy.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

22-08-2019, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
He’s doing it .
Good point!
cuphalffull
North East UK
cuphalffull is female  cuphalffull has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2019, 10:10 AM

Sorry all but I like Prince Charles and think he'll be a great King. All he does for his various charities are ignored. But he does a hell of a lot.

William will be fine once he's stopped looking pompous. I'm sure his utterings about depression are at the instigation of some government department or other. Mainly because it is agreed that not enough has been done for people with mental illness.

Harry is getting it wrong just now, he is either not getting advice or taking the wrong advice. I think he is a decent chap who will settle into his role.

I do however think that Andrew and his ex-wife should stick together because that way they won't spoil two families. They are both a waste of space. But it has been said that he is the queens favourite, so she will shield him.

The UK is the United Kingdom long may it remain so.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top