Join for free
Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 03:22 AM

Re: Central Heating

Good for you owd lad, so you stay warm. I can't put my boiler on, so let's hope it's a mild winter.

I've never had my boiler running for that length of time as I havent needed it, nor could I afford it, but my blanket plan will work just as good, and it will save me lots of dosh.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 09:39 AM

Bit cooler this morning but quick shower and out with the dogs, by the time I got back I appreciated how warm the flat was really. The perception when I got out of bed was chilly but after a walk in the fresh colder air it was almost balmy in doors.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2013, 09:43 AM

Still no need for the central yet - I've had the heater on once or twice over the past couple of weeks for about an hour or two but that's it - this is great
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 02:30 AM

Well, here in the North West we're still at around 20C so it's not been that cold. Indeed, it's been relatively warm, so let's hope the temperature doesn't drop too much this year.
Ophelia
New Member!
North Wales UK
Ophelia is female 

09-10-2013, 11:49 AM

Mollie

I used to work in the energy industry.

I know that lots of people worry about heating bills, and that they can be very frightening.

The 6 big suppliers however can be very reasonable - it is not good press for them to have customers who die of hypothermia!

My advice to any customer who was worried was to put their heating on and keep it on as needed. In the event a big bill comes in, or if you are on direct debit, your payments are reassessed much higher - talk to the company. Ask for customer services and tell THEM, how much you can afford to pay.

Although they will not want you to incur further debt - they should be very reasonable about payment. We worked hard with all the big suppliers to ensure they improved their customer service and especially looked after their older or vulnerable customers.

I hope this helps.

Lia
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 11:52 AM

Ophelia - when I lived in England (I left about 20 years ago), I know you're in Wales, they had a system where your bills could be averaged out over the year and people could pay a static monthly amount throughout the year to help them budget - does that system still operate? I know it helped me when I was raising two young children.
Ophelia
New Member!
North Wales UK
Ophelia is female 

09-10-2013, 12:07 PM

Yes Ben, that still operates.

We call it Direct debit as it is taken monthly from your bank account.

Lots of people worry about it as the payments are based on a profile of what the supplier thinks you will use - which is hard to do unless they have a long history of your usage. Bad winters of course mean you use more fuel etc. (although they factor in long range weather forecasts)

It also means that in the summer months you are paying more than you are using - the idea being that you amass credit then to cover the winter. It is the cheapest way for the company to bill you so offers the lowest tariffs.

I think people have been frightened when the annual review puts the price up high. (the suppliers simply look at the years usage and divide by twelve). Obviously, if they had estimated readings, or had them last year, the price can vary, (sometimes dramatically) but customers should not be afraid of ringing up and talking to them. They can be very reasonable. They do not of course want to lower your charges so much you are incurring more and more debt - but they can talk you through and if a debt has accumulated, agree to claw this back over 2 years. (they will suggest 1 year first).

Companies also have schemes for insulation, boilers etc...they also have a Priority Service Register for any pensioner, but you have to tell them you are one!!

I get very upset at the thought of anyone being unable to stay warm in this country. Please - keep the heating on and get help if needed with the cost.

Lia
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

09-10-2013, 12:26 PM

Many thanks for responding Lia - there was also Economy 7 which was brilliant, I had the washing machine and dryer set to come on overnight which saved a small fortune especially in the winter months. Is that still going?

I do miss the benefits of systems like those, they are not available on the Isle of Man
Ophelia
New Member!
North Wales UK
Ophelia is female 

09-10-2013, 02:06 PM

Well I don't think economy 7 still exists, but it is some years since I was in the industry!

The biggest problem has been the large price increases in both gas and electricity. Electric heating is not much more expensive these days - it used to be much higher.

Newer flats cannot have mains gas heating any more because of the explosion risks.

There is lots of information on energy efficiency.

A couple of points that may be helpful. It is heating that uses power. Cooking with gas uses a very little amount, as do lights etc. with electricity. (Dryers have a heating feature of course)

Lots of people used to ask if they should have their central heating on constant or timed - i.e. which would cost the most.

This can be different even in the same street.
Basically - if your house is very well insulated, and not in a location were it gets severely weathered, leaving the heating on can be cheaper, as otherwise - to reach the thermostat temperature, the boiler has to work really hard to warm the fabric of the building. It is the gas you are using every time the boiler fires. If the property is well insulated it holds its heat once it reaches temperature and only needs to top up occasionally.

If the house does not "hold" its heat, then timed will be cheaper. However! the ONLY way to really know is to test it in your property.

Here's how:

Do this is winter.

Put the heating on Constant and take a meter reading. Read it again in 48 hours and note the units used.
Put the heating on timed, and take the same readings - try to ensure the weather is as similar as possible.

Which ever used the lowest units is the best one.

Oh Dear, I had better shut up - I will boring everyone senseless!!

Lia
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2013, 03:36 PM

Some residents here still have economy seven meters, we had ours taken out a few years ago and went back to a normal meter as it seemed unfair to us running a washing machine over night in a flat. Not that it has stopped some neighbours in any way.

Page 4 of 8 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top